Tags:
  1. asitaarka

asitaarka Member

at a point directly above the center of the earth

Percy Jackson Series

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by asitaarka, Jun 3, 2008.

I was wondering if anyone has read this series by Rick Riordan. I liked the Battle of the Labyrinth, Espicially the first chapter where he runs into the girl he met at the Hoover Dam.

2. hellomoto

hellomoto Contributing Member

I love that series! Its really exciting and funny, and for some reason reminds me of System of a Down :confused:

3. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman Contributing Member

Ah! I love these books. The humor is great =D

4. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I was quite amused by these books when I saw my students reading them. The only real complaint I have about them is that I wish they had more oblique references to mythology. I kept dissecting all the names and events, looking for parallels a la Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou, but it was all fairly straightforward.

5. BatCountry

BatCountry Senior Member

There really isn't much mythology, only the gods and a couple of monsters. But those monsters are very popular like the Cerberus, who hasn't heard of it? I think the series needs to dwell more into myth tales like Achilles and relate that to a puzzle in the novel. So in order to solve the puzzle you need to know something about mythology. It doesnt really remind me of System Of A Down it reminds me more of Weird Al (not a big fan) who just takes something serious and then makes it funny. Like in the book, when Annabeth talks about hubris and Percy talks about hummus.