1. wildflower

wildflower Member

Period novels

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by wildflower, Jun 9, 2008.

I'm working my way through the stack of historical fiction I intend to read throughout the summer. I'll be finished them all way before then, so does anyone recommend any historical fiction/regency-type books?

I've read all the classics, really looking for contemporary writers. I'll read anything whether it be social commentry, romance, comedy, murder - just as long as its set in the past lol

2. Marloy

Marloy Contributing Member

Since you probably have all the Pride & Prejudice and Gone With The Wind and Sense and Sensibility you can take, how about:

Letters From Rifka By Karen Hesse

Don't know if you've read it yet. I personally read it when I was very young, but I still remember it now and how much I enjoyed it. Set in WW II era about a young girl and her family who try to flee Russia for America, gets sick - a large thing. It's an easy read and it inspired me then when I was young, maybe you'd like it.

Also,

Jane Eyre By Ruth Wilson

The Woman In White By Wilkie Colins

North And South By Elizabeth Gaskell

Starring Sally J. Freedman As: Herself By Judy Blume

You've probably heard of the Laura Engalls Wilder books as well, but there's a few! :D

3. TenderHeart

TenderHeart Member

I really liked The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. It is about Richard III. It shows a much different picture of Richard than the one presented in the Shakespeare play.

4. wildflower

wildflower Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Woman in White is actually the book I'm reading at the moment. So far,so good

5. Marloy

Marloy Contributing Member

Alright, good! :cool: