1. Kincaid

Kincaid New Member

Genre

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kincaid, Apr 5, 2007.

What genre in writing do you favor over others, and why? What genre do you like the least, and why?

I absolutely love horror because it gives the opportunity to explore the darkest, sickest parts of my mind and express those things without being thought of as a psycho…or something.
    I’m the type of person who gravitates more to the darker side of things. In movies, cartoons and stories, I tend to find the villain far more appealing then the hero most of the time. And I love it when the villain wins in the end.

Plus I just think that horror is the easiest to write.

Not too crazy about love stories. There’s a type of emotion in love stories that I just can’t relate too; maybe because I’ve never truly been in love.

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

my prefered genre to write in is fantsay. this is because it is such a HUGE range of topics you coud write about and you could make absolutly anything happen, i like having no boundries. i am however trying to write something thats meant to be crime/thriller. it is a little harder than previous things i have written but . . .
    Heather

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I prefer horror, I find that it is easier yes, but far more intriguing also. A lot more people I have found are interested in horror or sci-fi or fantasy than any other genre.
    I don't write sci-fi as I know nothing about it and don't really read it either, but horror and fantasy I dare say would have to be my favourite genres and far easier to write about.

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I prefer generic descriptive prose as I like it and it gives me pleasure - I like to articulate and that genre affords me the scope in which to create the scapes of my choice.

I'm not very keen on sci-fi writings, (but like to watch it on TV / film etc) because whilst you have almost indefinite possibilities I feel the credible avenues have already been explored.

I also cannot write physical love without it seeming either tawdry or highly awkward.

I enjoy poetry greatly too but more as a critic than an author - I end up trying too hard.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I love sci-fi myself. But I also like horror and fantasy. All of these give you lots of ideas to play with, and its fairly easy to mix and match ideas within them.

I despise romance. A little bit of love interest in the novel is fine. But out and out romance turns me right off. I'm not a fan of thrillers either. Both of these genres seem boring and repetitive.

One genre that I would like to write but would find the hardest is alternate history. Its one I would most like to write, but it's the hardest one for me. A lot of alternate history is bad, simply because not enough research is put into it. Historical figures are completely out of character, the changes are unrealistic, technology is wrong, etc. So when I finally write it, I'm going to be agonizing over everything making sure I don't make the same mistakes. Its more of a strait jacket than I'm used to. But I love history, so if I can do it well, I'm going to be on top of the world.
    Annoying conundrum.

6. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I prefer to write fantasy and love to read it aswell. The kind of fantasy that is set in a believable setting. Like a normal day that turns awkward. That's my favourite thing to write. =)

7. Roxie

Roxie Active Member

I enjoy fantasy and historical romance with a crime/killer twist.

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I prefer historical fiction. Such a pain in the A$$ to write though. So much work goes into it. I am glad i usually only write for a hobby though other wise it would take me years.

9. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

I prefer science fiction and fantasy to other genres, although I write "hard" sci-fi and fantasy, not the soft fuzzy non-thinking stuff. "My boyfriend is an alien" is an example of the latter. I put real science into my sci-fi and spec-fic stories, so I feel as if the world could actually 'be' one day in the future. Similarly, when I write fantasy, I include a lot of the old familiar staples - magic in elemental forms, for example - but I put sane limits on it.

In Berendon's world, you can't levitate things. It just doesn't fit in the elemental magics / life magics set up that I have, so I chucked it. In Luke's world, most major countries have been divided up as a result of a terrible plague, but the people (true to real life) still gather in population centers despite the danger. In Caleb's world, the visions he's having are just one part of his new abilities, but they have their own price. That sort of thing - fantastic, yes, but you can really explore different ideas and come up with some very neat stuff.

My anti-choices for writing are modern poetry, which tends toward the craptacular, and soft gushy anything. Romance, when done well, is wonderful; likewise fantasy and regular literary fiction. Turn out a mushpile (Henrietta and Charles love each other! Then he inexplicably cheats! Then she goes insane without cause! Then she and her docter JoeBob fall in love! Then Charles gets married and all is well again!) and I'll lose all interest. I can't write mushy stuff either - it hurts inside too much. If Harold hates Luke's guts enough to get him kicked out of Cupperton, he'd better have a good reason for that hate - and a good reason not to see what the reader knows, which is that Luke was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had to wrestle with that one for a long time, but I got it. *Big grin*

10. Myst

Myst Active Member

Anything I write has an infusion of fantasy. Poetry, serious prose, silly prose, whatever. It is the whole experience of exercising my imagination (and hopefully sparking others) that I write for. That and the fact that I have way too much time.

I see romance is a common dislike here, which I too share. Mainly because it bores me. Rarely does the emotional interaction between the characters compensate for the uninteresting storyline- but then again, I've only read a couple of this genre.

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I like sci-fi/fantasy/comedy/comedic philosophy. (That last bit can in fact be achieved, and when done right, is a blessing upon this Earth.)
    Obviously, that's a hard bracket to fill, so I tend to keep my aims low, and write all over the list: YA, fantasy, sci-fi (Which, I must admit, is the soft-type "fuzzy thinking" style, see The Jack Files), action-adventure, and above all, comedy.
    My least favorite type of writing, through and through, is romance. And then "political thrillers" like Tom Clancy's stuff. And the poetry.

12. daisydaisy

daisydaisy New Member

I love to write what is labelled as 'horror', although my writings tend to focus more on the supernatural type. I like the mystery of the 'what happens after you die' thing, the endless variations on what could happen.