1. live2write

live2write Contributing Member

Personal fears with writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by live2write, Jun 3, 2012.

Last night as I was typing I ended up stopping and keeping my ideas to myself. This is not about the fear of losing my digital documents in writing or thinking that my ideas are terrible.

This is more of a personal matter with the peers and relationships around us writers. There are stories that I write that I welcome all to read and critique. Then there are stories that I hide and refuse to show to the public. Some of the remain hidden in my composition notebooks and I remember one of them being in a secret code that I made up.

My fear is that the hidden stories I write, my friends or worse my relationship with my boyfriend, will judge and question why I wrote such a story in the first place. I refuse to write about personal experiences except for ones about my family. I do believe that what happened in the past should stay there. However there are ideas that I have that come from my existing stories, from the music I listen to or movies I recently watched. Some of them contain graphic information and some could possibly be real.

In the past I had feared my professors in high school finding out about my writings and judging me based upon them. I learned after one of them stole my notebook that it was just a story to them. What should I do at this point? Should I stop writing these stories or should I just not be afraid?

2. louis1

louis1 Contributing Member

No reason to be afraid, the people that really matter, those who love you, will not judge you for words you've written, and if you are not ready to share, they will not judge you for being a little bit shy.
    Keep writing.

3. Wolfheart

Wolfheart New Member

If your friends turn on you for an innocent bout of writing (unless you're purposefully showing them in a bad light), then the problem is with them, not with your writing. True friends will understand the words, not take it as a personal attack. Continue writing, don't be ashamed of it.
    Also, unless I misunderstood, one of your teachers stole your writing notebook?

4. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix Contributing Member

Eh... My sort of problem. I have this very little memory on my mind that is... Well. Is not something I wished to show anyone about it, and yet my stories are influenced by it, somehow, somewhat. And there's also the thing that it was traumatic to a certain extent. So I don't really try to stop the stories that come from it, nor the feelings that pass to my writing.

I just say to anyone who gets in my room to not mess with the notebooks, and since the only people who get into my room are my relatives, they know I don't like anyone reading my stuff and they respect that.

I don't really know the point I was trying to make, but I understand your situation and... I don't think you should stop writing those. For me, at least, it is a way to deal with my own demons, because I didn't speak to anyone about it ever in my life. It's a sort of therapy. But it can be scary.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I fear heights. It was such a paralyzing fear for me, that once, on a summer painting job between years of college. I froze on a ladder two floors above a sloping lawn. Two coworkers has to physically bring me down.

So I go on Ferris wheels at every opportunity, and climb steep trails up rock cliff faces, I still fear heights, but it's no longer crippling. I get a little better at handling it every time.

I trust I have communicated my answer to your question. :)

6. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I think my fears are similar to the OP's. I don't think I have an answer that works. I suppose seeing how twisted much of the published work is helps a little. Next to some of these people, my stories are quite tame. lol It's something we have to work out, I suppose.

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I had the same fear when I was younger, about everything i wrote. Ever. Now that I look back at it I realize it was totally innocent but still I had the feeling that it would be the end of the world if anyone ever read it.
    Keep in mind that not everything you write need to be public. Some of it can be kept for yourself. keep it in a password-protected document on your computere if you want, if you fear someone could read it, but don't let it stop you from writing it. I have a story idea in my head, actually it's a rewrite of an old story but with a totally different theme and I have my fears that people might think it's sick and think I'm must be strange to write it but guess what? I'm going to write it anyway. And when I have I will decide what to do with it. I don't exclude the possibility to try and submit it, maybe that kind of courage comes with age? You stop being so afraid of what people think of you and I think I am ready to take that risk. Actually it feels pretty exciting :)

8. Siena

Siena Active Member

They're probably the great ones.

There's a link to a great article about this - if i can find it i'll link to it.

9. kamikazepilot42

kamikazepilot42 Member

I definitely understand this fear. I haven't written anything that fits in this category, but I know at some point (probably multiple points) I'll write something that I might expect to potentially raise eyebrows. In the end, I know I'll face it head on because a)I'm inspired to write it in the first place, and b)I have faith in the people close to me (who would be the only ones I would be nervous about in the first place).
    The bottom line is that the people that truly support you will understand that as a writer, just because you put something in a story does not mean that's who you are.

10. Fivvle

Fivvle Contributing Member

Writing fiction is, in part, about writing the truth. If you dance around things or just fail to tell it how it is, the story won't turn out as good as it could be. There will always be people who don't like what you write. It's your job to flip them the bird and write it anyway.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

As I recall, Thomas Wolfe, in his first novel Look Homeward, Angel, depicted many characters from his own life (family and friends) in a not-very-flattering light. He alienated a lot of these people. But when the book became a bestseller, their attitudes changed because they had all, in some minor way, become celebrities, and many were clamoring for him to include them in his next book!