1. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Personal Highlights of 2013

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by erebh, Dec 30, 2013.

I just thought it was time we reflected on the good things that happened us in 2013 - a time to reflect and smile and be grateful for a moment.

I haven't been around here much lately due to the fact that I've been offered my dream job - seriously, if 3 months ago you asked me my perfect job, I probably would have said Team Administrator/Coach for a pro-soccer team in the US and guess what - I got it! I am so happy - of course it's dependent on my green card which is boring me to death at this point but the fact that I spent 6 weeks interviewing, meeting and greeting just about everybody who's anybody throughout the club and the City, fulfilling job related tasks, talent spotting, recruiting players, organising functions, press conferences and photo-ops was a dream even if my status never changes.

So that was my highlight of 2013 - what was yours? Please just one highlight and no lo-lights...

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

@erebh, coach of a pro soccer team? That's freaking awesome. I'm jealous.

I guess my highlight would be getting into law school.

Andrae Smith and erebh like this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@erebh - So many congratulations! That's just fantastic. Wow. I'm sure you'll get your green card ...eventually.

My highlight, without a doubt, is getting onto this forum and making so many good writing friends as a result. I was really working in a vacuum till I stumbled upon it. Now it's the first thing I check every morning, after skimming my email. It's been so good to connect with you all ...well MOST of you all...;)

erebh likes this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I've been pretty damn lost this year, so no huge achievements there, but writing-wise I feel like I've learned a lot, and I'm also really happy T and I stumbled upon CW. This is the only place on the internet where we feel like we can be ourselves, exchange ideas with other aspiring writers, and learn from already published writers.

Thanks everyone, you've been awesome!

erebh and jannert like this.
  5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A principal role in developing a popular product feature at work, in my first full year there. A bit of work I'm damned proud of!

erebh, jannert and TessaT like this.
  6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Finally got out from under two large debts and I feel like my bank account has found its lungs. I can breathe again! :)

Also, I finally feel that one of my stories has found its steam! Many thanks to all who have helped me with Devin and Brena, but most especially biggest and squooshiest hugs to @obsidian_cicatrix for her willingness to reach down past the typos and silly stuff and ask me to ask myself deeper questions about my pair... of characters. LOL :p

You even get a fansign! ;)
    [​IMG]

KaTrian, erebh, jannert and 2 others like this.
  7. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I finally found out what true love is

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

So much happiness, I like to see it. :)

For me:

-Getting into teacher training
    -Finding a new girlfriend
    -Publishing my first short story

If it wasn't for these three things I'm pretty sure 2013 would have been the worst year of my entire life.

erebh likes this.
  9. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I'm thankful that my university degree is beginning to make me read more widely. :)

10. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

That's awesome Erebh! My achievements for 2013 are both on a personal level, and a professional level.

1.) I've come to grips with the fact that my brain is out of wack, and that I can cope/fix it without pills.
    2.) I was promoted from an intern Administrative to Executive Assistant for the owner of the company within 2 years. It wasn't expected or planned, but my hard work made it happen.
    3.) I don't have to hate religion or religious people, despite what it did to me. Religion itself didn't hurt me, just people who abuse it.
    4.) And lastly, I realized that food isn't the answer to my problems. Eating solves nothing (well, minus hunger :p). Living does.

Congrats to all of you for your achievements and for finding what makes you happy! Here's to 2014, and being even happier!! :D

11. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I suppose that's the difference between you and me... ;)

erebh likes this.
  12. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Ohh... where do I even start?

Firstly, thank-you so much @Wreybies. I just about choked on my coffee when I saw that. Last thing I expected. :D

Joining CW was definitely the highlight of my year. Thanks to all, but especially to @jannert, @erebh, and @Wreybies for their help and patient contributions.

The best thing, for me, was the realisation that it's never too late. An old dog can learn new tricks. (Albeit, very slowly ;))

erebh, jannert and Wreybies like this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

All's well that ends well, then? Hope the upward trend continues in 2014...

erebh and Lemex like this.
  14. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

I didn't say that I like this realization, but... it's gotta stop being my crutch. So, on top of joining this forum, I've also joined Nerd Fitness! :p

erebh, Thomas Kitchen and KaTrian like this.
  15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Good for you! You'll be surprised at just how much mental invigoration can be had from physical activity. :)

erebh and TessaT like this.
  16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Had to check that out. Looks like fun^^

I'm a chocolate fiend. Maybe I should make a New Year's Resolution; less chocolate. If not for the weight, at least for the sake of my teeth and blood sugar...

Oooh, but I'm so excited 'cause I joined a new sparring group at my boxing club (with T, of course, 'cause we do everything together like The Most Annoying Couple Ever should). It's going to be awesome, but I guess that'd count as next year's personal highlight... or lowlight if I get really beat up...

17. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Happy New Year @everyone :)

My highlights of 2013? Surviving to celebrate 2014! ...well, 6 more hours to fully reach that goal, but shouldn't be that hard, I hope.

Best wishes, one more time :)

erebh likes this.
  18. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I am also glad that I got to see Roger Waters' The Wall farewell tour. That was two and a half hours of sensory overload that I will never forget. Simply awesome

erebh likes this.
  19. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Aw, no, you can't post that and not say which one! But congratulations! The closest I ever came to that was playing Football Manager.

As for me, it was getting promoted at Uncle Sugar's funhouse, and getting to within shouting distance of finishing my first draft.

20. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

The past few years have been tough for me due to nagging medical issues. They have very much dampened my enthusiasm for so much of what was enjoyable. This year has seen my old self creep back into the picture and I am enjoying the act of enjoying. I tried writing a few years ago but it got placed on the sidelines with everything except the essentials. Maybe that's why I now find writing so completely pleasurable. I've been starved.

erebh likes this.
  21. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I have a better friendship with my best friend, have more confidence in my drawing and writing, won a huge scholarship to highschool, and joined an awesome forum!

EdFromNY and erebh like this.
  22. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

Not much that I've accomplished this year, but writing wise... I can say that, for about the first four months of 2014, I'll have something to work on.

No sense in regretting this old year. I have plenty of room for improvement this new year.

Happy New Years!

23. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

All will be revealed Ed, soon as my green card arrives, I daren't tempt fate :(

Nearly there - Happy New Year y'all!

TessaT likes this.
  24. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

I'd have to say joining CW, starting a new novel, and meeting everyone here. Also, I have to mention my newfound love of staying up without any sleep in order to continue writing. Now is that a good thing or not? :)

erebh likes this.
  25. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

Happy New Year!! :D

erebh likes this.