Personality Types

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snoopingaround, Aug 3, 2011.

1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Awesome so only two of us in the sea of INTJ.

2. Marranda

Marranda New Member

I'm confused. ISTJ or INTJ?

3. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Any ISFJ's?

4. Liza

Liza Active Member

Really? Hmm. That's interesting, I never paid much attention to how that might affect my type.

5. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

On basically every forum I've ever posted on the majority test out as INTJ. Either INTJ is less rare than people say it is, or forums just tend to attract INTJs.

6. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    I took 4 'different' jung tests and the first one I came out with INFJ but then with the others I came out to be INFP. I know it seems as though I'm not happy with this answer that discribes me as a 'Healer' who understands and is always lost in her dreams and stuff. (and I know that by my username it sounds like a perfect fit). But I don't feel like I'm a INFP or even a INFJ. I feel that out of all the personality types that I'm not really any of them. But of course my mind can be so messed up right now that I can't reconize that I have a personality type. But what ever, my personality type is not the only thing that matters about me....though I don't overly matter that much.....

7. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

It's due to a number of reasons. Firstly because INTJs tend to (from my experience) have some of the most trouble with identifying themselves as a child -- it's a massive archetype that they all seem to share, the feeling of being in most respects completely different from everyone around them. For a great many of them, discovery of personality type suddenly makes much of their muddled past "click" into place. Some remember it as a defining moment in their life.

Also, despite being introverts, they can be some of the most extraverted of internet personalities, and are usually far better at explaining themselves through writing than other -- often far more prominent -- personality types. Probably because it's one of the rare places that they can share their wealth of knowledge with the rest of the world, all without the risk of having their victims become bored and fall asleep, or get up and leave before they're finished.

I could go on for a while, but to sum it up, from my experience in forcing the test on others and in hearing what various people have had to say -- both online and in person -- INTJs are the sort that seem to see the most importance in their personality type, and thus are very disproportionately represented in such casual forum polls. We like the "big picture", and to us the idea of being able to box every human being on the planet into one of sixteen neatly arranged categories is just awesome.

(There is also a (rather unpopular) internet theory -- invented by INTJs, of course -- that we are often misrepresented due to the fact that so many other personality types see the INTJ as their "ideal", and thus are biased into giving untruthful answers when taking the test. Of course, since it seems that INTJs are the only group who really give a collective damn about the test, while the rest tend to give bemused smiles and exclamations of "oh, interesting...", it's a "theory" that doesn't lend itself much credence. I find it amusing anyway.)

Yes, a lot of us wear our personality type as some kind of badge of honour -- generally something that only has meaning to our fellow INTJs, while the rest just write it off as further arrogance. In a sense they're right. And there definitely are an awfully lot of us who use the personality type as an excuse to act like jerks.

Edited to add for the above:

You sound like my sister, who has at various stages been both INFJ and INFP. Some people are so balanced between two traits that it's difficult to tell which is the dominant one.

8. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

I find that in some cases people can be very slightly Introverted over Extroverted, or very slightly Perceiving over Judging, and so on. Because they are so borderline, or keep just right in the middle, they can almost form a sub-category of in-betweeners. And if you are an in-betweener, then you might not fit snugly in either type, but are closer to a hybrid type. It is somewhat rare, but that seems to be the case you are describing. It is also possible for types to change slighty over one's life, though big changes are very rare. INFP to INFJ is very possible, for example, but INFP to ESTJ is highly unlikely.

9. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

I am ISTJ.

But everyone on here is INTJ.

Thus we are swimming in the sea of INTJ. Because the forum is made up of INTJs.

10. Marranda

Marranda New Member

So we remain the only two ISTJ's so far?
    I went back and re-read the personality description for ISTJ yesterday, and everything pretty much hit the mark except for one. Conservative clothing? Nope. Not this girl. I am a flashy shoe lover. Preferably with coordinating and equally flashy accessories. And colorful eye makeup. Lots of color. Lots of gliter.

But otherwise, spot on :D

11. Pea

Pea super pea!

Huh. I'm INTP.

Anyone else like me? :confused: