Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

It's actually a pretty logical question, really asking for where you remembered having them last(at least when asked by people like myself), not where they actually were/are. Knowing where you knowingly had them last does not equal finding the keys.

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I'm guilty of one of my own pet peeves. I don't like it when someone says "what?" when I know they heard me.
    I do it to though. Sometimes, it's to have a bit more time to think about my response, so I can't get too annoyed.

I also get constantly annoyed at the misuse of the term 'religion'.

Also, unfair blanket statements that automatically put me into the same pot as a fanatic.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I didn't say it wasn't logical, simply obvious.

That kind of question makes me growl in my inner voice, "Do you reeeeeeeaaaly think I didn't ask myself that already?"

C'est ma bĂȘte noire. No one said it had to answer to reason. :p

4. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Ah. I misunderstood you. My bad :)

I don't lose my keys, so I don't have that problem. ^^

5. Wreybies

My keys are always running away from home! :redface::D

My wallet is even worse!

6. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Try upgrading your pockets with some miniature plants, lamps and furniture. Keeps my keys and wallet where they're supposed to be. :D

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Those people annoy me too! Doesn't God preach tolerance? It's so hilarious to me that people always say they live by the Bible and they turn out to be intolerant when God preaches tolerance, that kind of stuff.

Exactly. I'll believe what I want to believe. That's why you never discuss religion, politics, other controversial beliefs, etc with strangers, because there's always going to be a flamewar on either side.

8. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I might have, but I promised my husband that the last time I went to jail would really be the LAST TIME, unless, of course, it was for protecting a source.

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

People commenting on my meal drives me crazy, too. I used to work with a guy who every day when I got my lunch would crane his neck to see what I was having and say "ooh, what you got there, Heather?" and then spend the entire lunch break commenting on the nutritional facts of the various parts of my food.

Oh, and if anyone just came up to me and touched my hair, I would punch them in the face. "Oops, sorry! It's a reflex."

Haha my sister and I got into an argument with a couple of my cousins about that...they're super-religious, we're not. It was interesting.

Added to that list: "I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job butt"

We had a customer at work last night who spent like forty-five minutes walking around our store hunting for her keys before her husband had to come pick her up. We finally found them after she had left, in a part of the store where she insisted she hadn't gone.:rolleyes:

If I just say "my mother-in-law" does that count as a pet peeve? If not, it should.

10. Lavarian

Ooh! Another one!

People who are far more opinionated than informed about any given subject.
    (AKA arguing with coworkers)

11. hiddennovelist

Or people that read up on a subject and then try to work that subject into a conversation so they can sound intelligent. "Speaking of how often you should water your grass, I was reading about blue whales the other day..."

12. Lavarian

Haha, yeah. Sometimes, if I'm excited about a revelation I've had while thinking, I'll try to bring it up. Not quite as lame as that, though. It's usually not to sound intelligent in my case, but it's because I'm genuinely curious about what they have to say on the subject.

I also get annoyed when someone claims to be informed on a subject, but has only read up on one side of the argument and has, essentially, been spoonfed propaganda. I think one should always read up on as many viewpoints as possible, then sift through what is clearly bulls*** and what has actual substance for oneself. Until that is done, one should probably keep silent in voicing their opinion publicly for the concern of spreading misinformation. (hopefully that is a concern to most people)

13. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Oh, yesyesyes! Only I don't call her mother-in-law. I call her "my husband's mother" since she has yet to refer to me as anything more than 'my son's girlfriend'. Get over it! The state of Texas says we're married, even if you don't.

14. Wreybies

Science Fiction that breaks fundamental rules and loses me right from the get-go.

Example: Mimic.

Although insects can be quite a bit larger than they are today, they could only do this if oxygen levels were much higher, and even then, the material out of which their exoskeletons are composed would impose an upper limit many orders smaller than what this movie would suggest. Movie = Fail.

Other example: Alien.

Although I love this movie passionately, there is something that has always bugged me. The creature grows from something the size of a large lizard into something the size of a man prior to having nommed any of the crew. This violates the law of conservation of mass. You can't grow something out of nothing.

15. hiddennovelist

I hatehatehate that! I get into arguments with many of my family members because they do exactly that. If you want to discuss something with me, go right ahead. But don't argue with me about my take on something when you only know one side of the issue.

Wow. That would make me so mad.

Added to my list of pet peeves:

1. People who weave in and out of their lane while driving.
    2. People who feel the need to come to a complete stop before turning.
    3. People who feel the need to brake before changing lanes.
    4. People who talk ridiculously loudly in the library
    5. People who don't put their cell phones on vibrate when they go to the library, forcing me to listen to their obnoxious ringtones every time the stupid thing goes off.
    6. People who stare at me while I'm working out at the gym.

16. Lavarian

*Puts his binoculars away*

Nothing to see here.

17. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Oh dear. I would so hate that!

Oh yes, I know one. I live in Belgium, and at home we speak English due to the fact that my parents traveled a lot before etc, but I also speak Dutch perfectly.
    So once we were at a restaurant and I was talking with my sisters and suddenly a strange lady comes and starts talking in English to us (hearing her accent she certainly wasn't English) and we were like: "Yeah, we also can speak Dutch, so..."
    But the lady keeps on talking in English to us, trying to prove her language skills. I hate that! People that try to prove something, while their english is miserable, and it's not like we can't speak Dutch as well to them, it's so annooooooying!

18. hiddennovelist

That was you? Damn it, Rob, I told you to stop doing that! :p

That would irritate me. Do you ever pretend that you can't understand one or the other, so you can listen in on people's conversations? I often wish I could understand Spanish because there are people near me speaking Spanish, and I can tell that they're talking about me. But alas, I cannot...

19. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

No, I don't. But once I was in a bar with my sister, and she had to go to the bathroom. It was quite busy so she told me to be careful. I decided that if anyone would come to bother me, I would talk very very americain English to them... hehe... :p
    Too bad no one did, it would have been fun...

Oh, I understand a little Spanish, since I'm learning it, but not enough to follow a conversation, I guess.

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Aliens need living organic bodies for their reproductive cycle, but perhaps they can eat damn near anything for growth - electrical insulation, conduit lining, furniture. No physical laws violated.

I had the same issue with Odo in Deep Space Nine though - conservation of mass was never considered in the transformations. The same with the Hulk.

Yup, it's a major peeve of mine too.

21. Wreybies

Yeah.... I hear ya, but that's a hard sell.

It takes all the horror out of the story to picture the creature nomulating a sofa. And if it could nomulate a sofa, which is most passive and accepting of the idea of being a nom, why would the creature hunt the humans which are most unpleasant and liable to hit back? I doubt it would be because the humans were more nutricious. The creature managed to grow to adult size in less than a day. Conversion of consumables must be extremely efficient with that kind of metabolism. The higher protein levels of humano-noms can't really matter much. :redface:

I made this one myself!

[​IMG]

I'm sure someone will soon post that their pet peeve is picky-ass people like me. :p:D

22. hiddennovelist

My pet peeve is...uhh... *looks up at Wrey's post* Nevermind. :p

More pet peeves from the road:

-People who park in more than one parking spot
    -Cars on the freeway who drive surface street speed limits. Why are you even on the freeway if you're going to do that?
    -People anticipating the light and pulling into the intersection before it actually turns green. I just went to the store, and I was stopped next to a truck at the light who was halfway into the intersection by the time the light turned. Not even kidding.
    -Kids skateboarding, riding bikes, or any other similar activity in the middle of the road who don't get out of the way when they see you coming in your car. It's always the same kids in my neighborhood. I swear, the next time they do it, I'm going to run them over to teach them a lesson.

23. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

People who talk/laugh loudly in public on their mobile phones, just for the sake of being obnoxious.

24. hiddennovelist

Bud Light's Real Men of Genius...We salute you, Mr. Really Loud Cell Phone Talker Guy!

I hate that, too. It happens at work all the time, some lame guy just walks around the store for like fifteen minutes, yelling on his phone about transferring funds and paying off this and that and whatever. Dude...we don't care. Go away.

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Point out to him that telephone technology is designed to communicate over long distances WITHOUT the need to shout. Or that tilting the phone horizontally can tighten the EM string to transmit voice at a lower volume :D