1. PenandPencil

PenandPencil New Member

Life in Renaissance Spain

Discussion in 'Research' started by PenandPencil, Jul 18, 2011.

Hi,

I'm having trouble looking up info about Life in 15th/16th Century Spain. I know what France, Italy and the UK was like, but thinking of it now, Spain is rarely mentioned - as in, lifestyle.

My current piece will take place during the Age of Exploration, in Southern Spain - a fictional coastal town - and before I move on I need to find out information on how LIFE was like in Spain. Would it be similar to that of Italy's? Google isn't helping me much, as all that comes up is art and obviously the exploration aspect of the era.

Also, what is the official name for a Fish-shop? Like, a meat-shop is a Butchers. I know fish can be included with meat (I think) but is there any official title for a fish-shop?

Thanks to anyone who can help, who can provide me links or whatever. It'd be heavily appreciated. :D

-P&P

2. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Fish shop = Fishmonger

Not so much help on the renaissance Spain question though.

3. PenandPencil

PenandPencil New Member

Ah! That's it! I always knew there was a term for it but I could never remember it. Thanks a mil, Heidi. :D

4. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Ok, because I'm a history geek, I had to go searching. This is what I found:

An article adapted from a guest lecture on European Civilizations

Another idea I had was to do an internet search for Christopher Columbus life in Spain... as this seems to be the era about which you are writing. Sometimes its easier when you have a famous person connected with the time period. Yes, I know he was Italian, but he is associated with both Spain and Portugal, so he might be a key to finding out about life in his era.

You might also search for "Daily Life in the Spanish Inquisition." There is a book available which might interest you.

I have found several other sites purporting to know all about life in the Spanish Renaissance, but I somewhat doubt their authority. Most make broad sweeping generalizations and provide no basis for their knowledge... so I'd use them with caution.

Reading some of the literature that came out of the Spanish Renaissance can help you get a feel for the culture as well. Try "Don Quixote" to get in touch with the humor of the time period, and also the language.

Paintings are a great way to find clothing styles. Depending on about which level of society you are writing, portraits or other paintings will help guide you to good clothes ideas as well as a peep into what people felt was worth painting.

Hope that gives you a little guidance. If I was a renaissance geek I'd sure be more helpful, but at least I CAN help with how to research. Google Books is your friend.

5. PenandPencil

PenandPencil New Member

Okay, thanks again, Heidi. I am also a history nut, particularly with Ancient history, and the Renaissance... but, well, that's not saying much is it? :p

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll do all that you said above. :)