phobias, fears and death

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ProsonicLive, May 21, 2013.

1. Amin

Amin New Member

I have aracnophobia that used to be bad - if there was a house spider (big, thick black one) in the bath I wouldn't go in it for about a week and it took a few days for me to use the toilet again, so I was so glad we had a secondary bathroom - but nowadays they freak me out but I can cope. I love to go up close to look at them because I find them fascinating but as soon as they move or jolt I have to back away. The smaller ones are fine. I can catch them in a cup and throw them out. I'm a lot better than I used to be. I can even bluff that they don't scare me when colleagues are trying to scare each other.

I used to be phobic of craneflies as well. They were like spiders that could fly. When I was very young, one landed on my ankle when I was in my PJs on my bed and mum was saying goodnight. I freaked out so she caught it and took it away.

Another mild phobia I have is claustrophobia that began as a child with my cousin. We used to play fight a lot as she did judo so used to practice it on me. She's four years older and has a distinct size advantage over me (to put it politely) and found it particularly easy to pin me down against the sofa on the floor so I couldn't move. Since I would try desperately, yet futilely, to get up, it made me panic and, thus, claustrophobic. Tight spaces don't tend to scare me, but being restrained does. When I'm playfighting with friends and family, they can't restrain me or I'll go nuts.

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Likewise, it makes everyday things incredibly difficult and hard not to fear.

Same. I keep my phone turned off most of the time (or have it on but hide it so I can't hear the phone) just to avoid the sheer terror of getting a call and whether I can manage to answer it or not.

Haha, okay, totally agree about TOWIE. But I do watch Hollyoaks. >.>

Yeah, I'm scared of dogs too. I'm better with them nowadays so I won't always have to cross the street to avoid them. But yeah, my fear of dogs comes from being attacked when I was 1 years old or something.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I hate going underground. I had a near panic attack on the Glasgow Underground once ...the train stopped for no reason I could fathom, and I freaked out. By the time it reached a stop and I got off, my knees felt like string. I hate tunnels, and you'll never catch me in a cave or anything like that.

4. Charlene Ninji Dixon

Charlene Ninji Dixon New Member

I have a great fear of clowns. I have never liked clowns ever since I seen the movie IT, the clown I think he was called penny wise? Scared the living nightmare out of me and since then I never liked clowns. I'm scared that they come and chase me.

5. Haliburton

Haliburton New Member

I used to be terrified of having to stand in front of an audience and speak. I used to be so afraid of speaking to a person that I thought was really important that I'd sit three feet away and tremble. Now, I seem to be completely without fear. I have cleaned a water trough in the Australian bush and without knowing that it was crawling with red-back spiders. The station owner hadn't warned me. When he pulled me away, I was unconcerned. At the age of 14, I got locked in a railway car that was being left in a lumber camp that wasn't to open for at least a month. At the time, I was too busy getting myself out to be scared but it took 25 years before I could tell anyone and while telling it, I bawled like a baby. I got out because I had on steel-toed boots and the engineer in the passing engine heard me kicking the door of the car. If I think about what kind of death that would have been, I still get feeling very uncomfortable.
    Haliburton

6. Larry

Larry New Member

I have a strong fear of the Lounge ... :eek:
    Just kidding

It isn't really a fear, but I do not like being upside down, which means that I rarely go on modern carnival rides.
    I have also crossed being an astronaut off of my 'things to do before I die' list ...

7. ECKS

ECKS New Member

I'm not scared of much... Aside from large dangerous machinery and nature. So actually, I'm scared of a lot of things.
    Fear keeps you alive, but paranoia is what let's your life slip on by. I''m rationally paranoid.
    Irrational fear is the pits.

8. AnnaU93

AnnaU93 New Member

I am scared of death of course but I am more scared of the "after death" part because it seems like by this point in this generations and generations of people have been convinced that there is life after death while the rest say that you have just died. Either way I am terrified and I try not to think about it in general.
    I also have a strange fear of swings. When I was very young I had a nightmare about being on swings and the swings automatically went in a 360 around the pole and I was hanging on the best I could. I know this is a strange dream to have but it somehow stayed glued in my memory to the point where I am still hesitant to get on a pair of swings with my little cousins.