1. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

Selling paperbacks while signed up for Kindle Select?

Discussion in 'Print on Demand' started by Lilith_Duat, Dec 6, 2014.

Hello, first post here.

I searched the forum but nothing came up, so apologies if this has been discussed.

We're planing on publishing our first novel and enrolling it in Kindle Select. Select requires a 90 day exclusive where the book cannot be published in ebook form anywhere else but Amazon. However, I'm a little unclear on if one is allowed to sell paperbacks or hardbacks in CreateSpace or Lulu of the same novel enrolled in Kindle Select?

2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Please don't take this as legal advice, but I can't find any mention of paper books in Amazon's Select Terms of Service, so I assume it would be OK. From that TOS;

1 Exclusivity. When you include a Digital Book in KDP Select, you give us the exclusive right to sell and distribute your Digital Book in digital format while your book is in KDP Select. During this period of exclusivity, you cannot sell or distribute, or give anyone else the right to sell or distribute, your Digital Book (or a book that is substantially similar), in digital format in any territory where you have rights. (Emphasis mine.)

3. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

You're fine. Select only applies to ebooks. I've had Createspace paperbacks on B&N.com for months while the ebooks are in Select.

Besides, Createspace is owned by Amazon, so they get the money regardless.

4. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.
    Thanks.