1. Ragdoll

Ragdoll Member

Referring to books, movies etc.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Ragdoll, May 29, 2011.

When referring to books and movies, should their names be in italic?

2. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Yes.

Alternatively put them in ' ' quotes, but italics is less confusing for the reader. If this is more an academic piece of work, (or blog, report, article) remember to put the dates beside the titles in brackets.

So;

Richard Ayoade's Submarine (2010)

3. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    If it's an academic piece of work, follow the conventions for citations appropriate to the academic context. "Richard Ayoade's Submarine (2010)" is one such convention, but I would have lost marks for citing like that when I was at university.

4. darkhaloangel

Yes, it all depends on the type of citation - and then you'd put the full citation in the reference list (and bibliography) or/and perhaps put the full reference in footnotes.

I don't believe the ins and outs of a referencing system is what the poster was asking, though. Just a simple, but correct and stylish in text referencing system. The key between literature piece and blog being - I would include the date.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

depends on whether it's in fiction, or non-fiction... which are you asking about?

6. penhobby

penhobby New Member

7. Ragdoll

Ragdoll Member

I'm asking about either. I am currently writing a blog, so that's why I wondered in the first place, but I like writing fiction as well =)

8. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Then yes you do, but only the title. The following is an example of MLA citation. If you reference a book as a whole, cite your source within the body of your work- In my opinion, an easier method for your purpose.

-- In 1847 Emily Bronte wrote Withering Heights under the pen name Ellis Bell.--

If you are referencing work on a specific page, use quotation marks and parenthetical citation. The unquoted part is my work and not part of the source.

-- I pause to ponder so deep a thing and for reasons unknown, the words of Marianne Williamson in, A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A
    Course in Miracles,
    come to mind. “Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. (Williamson pg. 190-191 1992)” You should also provide a complete source at the bottom of the post like this...

Williamson, Marianne. A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A
    Course in Miracles.
    New York: Harper Collins, 1992. 190-191. Print.

Remember, your source is your credibility, so you want to make sure that your readers can verify your source on their own.

9. darkhaloangel

penhobby is correct in many ways - although there are numerous ways to cite - the most popular difference being Harvard and Chicargo citations.

However even in the body of the full citation remember that the title still goes in Italics. This is different when citing journal articles - when the journal title goes in italics but not the name of the article.

Williamson, Marianne. A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A
    Course in Miracles
    . New York: Harper Collins, 1992. 190-191. Print.

10. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Yes that is correct. I borrowed this from something I wrote and the format was lost in the process. Citations can get tricky, especially in academics. However, if this is just for a blog, I still say MLA is easier. BTW, I was sourcing a news paper article and lost points for placing the title and subtitle in italics. That one mistake dropped my overall grade and I missed getting an A on that paper by two points. It's the little things that get you, which is why I am somewhat anal retentive about citations to this day. Now let me go fix that citation. lol

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Putting the titles in italics makes it easier for the reader to understand. :)