1. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Blood Meridian

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TheSerpantofNar, Aug 22, 2012.

Has anyone here tried reading Blood Meridian?? I mean I like the author but the amount of sadism and violence in it was hard to take even for me.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I loved it. Yes, it's violent, but it's masterfully written and makes for a great reading experience. I can only recommend that you finish it. Violence seems to be something McCarthy loves writing about, and there's really no escaping it if you want to read his work.

Have you read any of McCarthy's other novels? His 2006 novel The Road is less violent (though very bleak) and is a quick read. Suttree, another one of his good novels, doesn't have much violence in it at all and is even humorous at times, though it's a very long novel at almost 500 pages.

3. TheSerpantofNar

Well I guess I could try again McCarthy is one of my favorite authors as he seems to specialize in writing about elements of human nature such as violence among other things. I guess you could say he inspired me to start writing somewhat ive read No Country for Old Man which I would classify as Southern gothic/western.

4. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

I finished Blood Meridian recently

At times I loved it, others I hated it. If you can wade through his almost pathological descriptions of the scenery, there really is a great book in there. It's worth reading for the character of the Judge alone. He dominates the pages when present and casts a shadow over the rest when not. I love the ambiguity of the Judge.

The violence in the book is unflinching and it's something you have to deal with. It's part of the depraved world in which the book is set. To compromise this you'd compromise the whole work itself.

5. TheSerpantofNar

I agree Blood Meridian is a book you can love and hate at the sametime. Beautifully described landscapes so there is a savage beauty to the book though the violence is horrific and gruesome but it fits the tone of the book and story.