Tags:
  1. Attero

Attero New Member

Pictures within the story...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Attero, Nov 18, 2009.

I was wondering if I had some pictures of the environment or some of the creatures/characters, so can pictures within the story spark the imagination and get a better perspective and realistic into the story. So the reader can get more into the story, these are the question I want to get a answer on. Any point of view will help.

Thanks in advance, have a nice day

Attero

2. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

If you are submitting your manuscript to a publisher or agent, you don't send any art. Doing so would be unprofessional. I guess if you want to draw pictures for your own enjoyment and the enjoyment of your friends it's fine, but not from a professional standpoint.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If your writing depends on pictures, it probably means you need to work on your descriptions.

In any case, though, publishers rarely accept artwork provided by the author. They prefer to work with their own illustrators.

4. Attero

Attero New Member

That is what I want, I dont draw my own pictures. So if a illustator would draw the images to the story would that be acceptable?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You cannot depend on the pictures. Your writing has to be sufficiently descriptive to stand on its own.

You'll have to submit to a publisher, who will judge your work entirely on the basis of the writing.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what is it you're wanting to write/illustrate?... a children's book?... something for the YA market?... a story for a magazine, or an adult novel?...

7. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

If it's a picture book, I'd expect to see pictures in it ;)

8. McDuff

McDuff Member

In The Dark Tower series (one example of many) by Stephen King, many illustrations are included. It does not degrade the story, nor does it indicate a lack of descriptive detail within. It is simply a tool, like may others, to engage the readers imagination. I hesitate to comment on these forums because I do not believe that writing has a hard line "yes" or "no" answer to anything (which I see quite often here). I believe that if you write a story, and that that story is good for you, then to hell with everyone else. Writing is, at least to me, as personal as making love to a beautiful woman. You do not do it to share the experience with other people, nor do you ask other people how to do it. You just do it and when you get it right, you know...