Pirates of the Lost Treasure

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Bewitched, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    I got a hoverboard for Christmas, just gotta put that out there. And I watched the new Star Wars...finally. I tried to go with my friends but they were all busy, so I just ended up going with my mom and my little brother. It was so good. So. Good.

Also, the Vengeful Maiden reminds me of the Millenium Falcon because of the part where it goes fast and Captain Blast says hold on...that reminds me of the Flacon going into hyperspeed, lol. (That's also part of why I made Elva so excited, ha!)

EDIT: New profile pic, whoo hoo!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Bewitched likes this.
  2. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Lol, I watched Star Wars super late, like a couple days ago. The theatre was still packed though, which was crazy. Maybe I added the "hyperspeed" thing subconsciously. Now that I think about it, Captain Blast and Billy Bones are kinda like Han Solo and Chewie. Blast is cunning and Billy is strong. And I like the hair, it looks longer.

Also, I'm surprised no one has asked about the treasure yet...I was kinda waiting for that...lol.

3. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

@Bewitched
    Are the singing and mist some kind of illusionary magic or is it real?

4. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

It's real. Also, it took me forever to remember my password just now. I had to try four times. I'm too young for this, lol.

5. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

Joined a bit late.

Name:
    Alan Kovar
    Weapons:
    Alan carries a fixed tanto utility knife with a skandi grind and a thickness of ~0.16 inches (4 mm). He prides in keeping all 6 inches of the edge to a mirror polish, and the high carbon steel retains the razor edge for a good amount of time before needing to be re-sharpened. Apart from the edge, the rest of the blade is covered in a black oxide coating for style and rust resistance. The handle scales are made of burlap-resin micarta and held in place by rivets. The leather sheath is located on a left shoulder strap and positioned upside down for ease of access. Alan carries two other knives, but they are rather small and nondescript. He taught himself unarmed and knife combat with books from the Institute of Magic after getting robbed at a market.

Aside from the knives, Alan also carries a black powder revolver. The revolver has the same black oxide coating as his knife and a hollow upside-down triangle etched into the back of steel frame by acid. The gold plated accents have been scratched off over time. Although Alan knows how to operate a multitude of firearms, his aim becomes that of a storm trooper when under extreme stress.

Talent (if any): none
    Appearance:
    Although Alan is 38 years of age, he has the look of someone in their 50s due to substance abuse and constant chemical exposure during his daily experiments with creating a concentrated magic-explosive propellent to replace conventional black powder. He is balding and has a full beard that covers up his wrinkly face. His eyes match the dark, washed-out brown color of his hair and have retreated into their sockets, causing his nose to look more protruded than it really is. Due to his isolation from sunlight, Alan has developed an unnatural pallor over the years. He has a stout frame and is naturally muscular, but has partially atropied due to continued inactivity and age. His wrinkly skin is loose enough for one to indentify the individual muscles that lie underneath.

Alan wears a flexible composite armor jacket made of two layers of tiny hexagonal steel plates sandwiched between sheets of resin-reinforced fabric and covered in a leather veneer for style and insulation. The composite armor is slash proof and more puncture resistant than chainmail, but it is rather susceptible to blunt force. It's enough to stop shrapnel, but is ultimately useless against firearms. An upside-down hollow triangle is crudely painted on the right sleeve in white dye. The amount of mismatched bags attached to his jacket makes it look like he wears clothing constructed out of recycled bags and pockets. A square-shaped loose-fitting brown cap covers his bald head.

Personality:
    Despite his jaded appearance, Alan has the mindset of someone in their 20s. He speaks fluent sarcasm and has a blue/orange system of morality that ultimately serves to benefit himself. Although most of his motivation stems from boredom, greed, and his insatiable thirst for knowledge, he is sometimes shown to have genuine concern for those he considers an ally.

Other :
    He used to work as an arcane researcher for the Institute of Magic and has since been decommissioned due to fund shortages. He now owns a lucrative apothecary, but has grown bored of his job over the years. The store earns him a good amount of money, but it is not enough to revive the Institute.

Also hates being called an "old man".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  6. AnonyMouse

Dammtit, Elva. Give peace a chance, give peace a chance. :friend:

I guess I should edit, LOL.

Erik-the-Enchanter! likes this.
  7. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Damn. Forgot about the ring part way through writing my post. Any chance that arm'll come back or some sort of replacement?

8. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

The search for a replacement arm could be a side-quest.

9. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

Joining in the fray as you reach the Cursed Island, I've read through the story with great pleasure and am glad to get to be a part of it.

Name: Adam Arkwright

Weapons:
    His sword is simple, but strong and sharp. Always at the ready and through thorough training made into a deadly weapon that has already slain many a man or creature. Combined with his sturdy shield he can often hold his own against any foe for as long as need be.

The classic heraldic shield is made out of a strong straw, wrapped in leather and coated with refined metals from the Lovelace mines. The straw is light and helps to absorb strong blows, the leather protects against heat and the metals keep every sharp or fast moving object at bay. It is decorated with the Lovelace family crest.

He also knows how to use a bow with decent accuracy, though he hardly ever carries one.

Talent:
    none

Appearance:
    Adam is not particularly handsome nor is he plain. He has curly brown hair and a relatively short beard. He is muscular, but not extremely buffed. He wears an armour, but nothing as fancy as Cephilia. It is sturdy, it does what it has to do and it has saved his life many times, but that is all there is to it. It does have the Lovelace crest burned into the chest plate.

Personality:
    At his very core, Adam is a loyal soldier. He has a strong body and a strong mind, though both have been through the wringer on the Cursed Island. He also has no Talent, which sometimes makes him feel like a common soldier in a world of supermen.

Adam does not care much for pride, power or popularity, not even when he lost them all and was banished to Cursed Island. When he believes in a cause he will fight for it and, more often, when he finds a person he believes in he will fight for them and it is in this that he finds his happiness. He is polite, humble and the living proof that Courtesy is not yet dead. He’s generally a people’s person, but after living in captivity for so long he is not so good in groups and prefers to stay back and watch from a distance. He is also oblivious to many of the events that took place after his banishment including the infamous tales of Captain Blast.

10. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Alan's new name might be Crazy Man, lol.

Also, head's up @halisme, Elva will go psycho and slit Asara's throat in her sleep. She ain't Merrique. Her tolerance is low and she has some deep problems, as you've probably already guessed.

11. halisme

It's okay, there's a reason she sleeps in a hidden place. Though she seems to ignore any compliments given.

Speaking of Merrique, any chance you'll post in that thread soon?

12. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Okay....just don't let Elva catch you slippin', haha. And sorry about that, I didn't know their were new posts in Tarnished, I'm bad about keeping up with stuff. I'll get to it when I get home, I'm at the library right now.

13. obi-sem kenobi

Sorry about the long posts guys, my tendency to monologue is one of my bigger faults as a writer (and my wife would say, not just as a writer). I just have too much time to think about words and too little skill/experience to trim them down.
    That said, I did let myself go a bit with that mercy plea because I figured Adam would have the same problem at the time, so this should be about the worst you have to suffer from me :p

14. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

I just read your post, I don't think it's unnecessarily long. And believe me, I've read some posts that are long for no apparent reason.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  15. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Asara/Sally is confusing as hell. She's rude 99% of the time, but gets upset when people don't notice when she throws them a rare compliment. And I thought Elva had issues, haha.

16. obi-sem kenobi

Hehe, yeah I'll try. Though I find it rather hard to devide my paragraphs, especially combined with conversations and when there is a longer stretch of time between two posts.
    Speaking of conversations, how do you play out a normal conversation between two people? Do you make one or two line posts, or do you work it out in a pm first and then post it in it's entirety? Not that I have anything special planned or anything, but this is my first real roleplay and I still have to figure things out :)

First lesson, keep posts short. Check. If I go overboard again, just slap me on the wrist.

17. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

I spoke too soon actually, I read your post and it wasn't unnecessarily long. If you wrote six paragraphs describing yourself making a sandwich, that's too much. But you were just recounting everything that happened. After all, I did make a lengthy post myself, so it only makes sense that you guys would post lengthy posts in reply. I'd rather have long posts than two-sentence ones any day. But yeah...not too long. :p

Also, you can PM someone and work out a conversation, that's called a collab post.

18. halisme

Confusing, but consistent.

19. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Consistently confusing, hehe. I must say, I had the impression she knew what she was like and just enjoyed making enemies. I thought she got a thrill from it or something.

20. AnonyMouse

Kudos to you for staying in character. I've tried to write unlikable characters in the past and just couldn't keep it up. I tend to try to add some likable aspect to them or make them gradually change their ways. Asara seems rather unapologetic about who/what she is. It's like she's on a mission to piss everyone off.

But I'm not seeing how Cephilia is inconsistent. Every time they faced a dangerous situation, she chose a nonlethal solution and only resorted to killing when that didn't work. She used a flashbang, when Asara was trying to kill. She tried to talk to Syra, when Asara was pointing a gun at her. I was going to have her attempt to speak with the beast-men, but Asara fired off a shot before I even had a chance to post. Even when she firebombed the cannon, her intent was to make the soldiers scatter, not kill them. (She knew it was possible they'd be killed or severely burned, but didn't have many options. The post reflects her hesitation before flinging the lantern overboard.) The fight with Syra is the only time Cephilia actually committed herself to killing someone/something and by that point it was very clear Syra couldn't be reasoned with.

Overall, I'd say she's a complex character, but not inconsistent. And she has never tried to hold others to the same moral standards she holds herself to, so I don't know where Asara is getting the idea that Cephilia is "self-righteous." She knows she's surrounded by pirates, so it'd be pretty stupid to try to make saints of them... especially considering Cephilia knows she's no saint herself. She's a thief, for crying out loud; even if the intent is benevolent, it's still theft.

Also, where is this compliment Asara gave Cephilia? I went through all of the posts and seriously couldn't find it. I don't think Asara has said a single kind thing without following it with a request, complaint, or caveat. "Wow, those sure are nice shoes you've got, but blue really isn't your color. What the hell were you thinking!?" That pretty much sums up how I feel every time Asara "compliments" someone, LOL. It's like she's just reeling them in for the sucker punch.

21. halisme

I might have got gotten Cephilia and Elva's name's mixed up. My mouse wheels a bit dodgy so I'm guessing I scrolled to Erik's post, then it jumped as I went back to the other tab to start typing it up. My apologies, I'll come up with something later on to fix it. Not a retcon, more a joke. And as for the self righteous part, it's to do with Cephilia's reason for being there combined with a natural dislike of authority figures. She's projecting a bit. As for the inconsistency, it's that she feels like she's being treated worse than Elva, who, upon the groups first meeting and dealing with the siren, was the one who charged in with attempt to kill, whereas Asara's been more about maiming

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  22. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Apologies for my absence! Been working in Belgium for the last week and though I have had some time to myself, I've either been too tired to write or embarrassingly, forgot!

23. AnonyMouse

LOL, I was waiting for Bewitched to reply to the others before giving my offering, since it seemed like Shekinah already had a lot to respond to. So... ummm... Cephilia doesn't have to give an offering now? Awkwaaaard... :meh:

24. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

I was just assuming Cephilia might have put the armor in before Shekinah took the basket, but I guess you can keep it now...since I posted like twice after that, haha.

And personally, I think the difference between Elva and Asara is simple. Elva may be certifiably psycho (killing people left and right without regret), but she only kills people that threaten her life, or in Asara's case, people who gravely insult her. And personality wise, she's a sweet, friendly, bubbly person. She's a nice psycho.

As for Asara, she's more reserved and looks for different ways to solve problems other than straight-up murder, but she doesn't seem to understand that her sharp tongue is working against her. She's genuinely confused as to why she's making enemies when all she does is insult and judge people that haven't done anything to her. She may not be a homicidal maniac, but she burns bridges left and right and then wonders why no one cares when she tries to be nice. At first I thought she didn't give a F about making friends and that she was aware of her actions, but apparently that's not the case.

I'm actually wondering how she made it this far without realizing this aspect of herself. In all her career as a smuggler I would think she would meet some dubious characters and that they would not take kindly to someone flinging scathing insults at them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  25. obi-sem kenobi

Perhaps this is the first time she was ever forced to work closely with a group of people. From what I understood from her introduction at the ship (about people mentioning her name) she doesn't really care to socialize much. Now, however, she is forced to work together with this strange bunch of people that she has no direct control over. That changes things.