1. terobi

terobi Senior Member

"Guidebook" non-fiction agents?

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by terobi, Apr 4, 2016.

Hi all,

I've been considering writing a "guidebook" style non-fiction book, similar to the kind that you might buy on running a small business, etc. (though on a topic which I have not actually seen any similar guidebook on).

Many of the publishers for those kinds of books seem to accept unsolicited, unagented submissions of overviews and chapters, etc. but a book I've been reading on the topic (Robert W. Bly's "How to Write & Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit") suggests that getting an agent is a better option.

Now, I'm in the UK, and that particular book is very much US-focussed, so that may account for the difference - however, since I have no experience of submitting to or dealing with publishers, contracts, etc. should they decide they like the idea, I'm not sure if an agent is usual for this kind of thing in the UK. I'm also not sure how I'd find an agent for this in the first place, considering "non-fiction" is a very broad term, and it's difficult to know if an agent would be interested in this type of work specifically.

I appreciate this might not actually be something that many of you know about, but I'd a[preciate any input you guys might have.