1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Your health, side effects and the shingles shot.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Tourist, May 25, 2012.

Over the past few days I haven't felt like doing anything. And I mean bone-weary tired. I 'assumed' it was from fighting the bike out on the slab from the intense wind we've experienced lately.

But a few days ago I got my shingles vaccination. Like many 'boomers who had chickenpox as a child, I have a risk of shingles, a very painful experience. My brother came down with it.

YMMV, but check with your health provider. You might also want to receive this shot.

Anyhoo, I just can't shake this "hungover" feeling. After my wife returned from several days OOT taking care of her mother, she commented on a bruise on my left tricep, the location of the shot. I cannot see that spot obviously, and never made the connection between the lethargy and the vaccination.

While a minor but nagging condition, I'm going to follow up with the problem. Even our dogs lay around after shots. I just never made the connection.

Take care of your health guys! If you blink your eyes, you will look up and find you are my age. Time is precious. I have seriously worked out since I was 27 years old, and it has paid dividends. Fourteen of the men I rode with, guys my age, have now died from poor health habits like over-eating, smoking and drinking.

When people at the gym comment on my health I always ask them, "Which is more surprising? A 62 year old man that performs like I do, or a twenty year old who can't?"

Research the vaccination, and then research a good gym in your area!

2. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

We have a few patients with shingles at the hospital I work at now. They are all on contact isolation. I have a pretty bad case of chicken pox as a child. My kids have all been vaccinated, but I wasn't aware there was a specific shingles vaccination. Are you referring to varicella?

None the less, I get the lethargy. I've been unable to do much of anything since starting Lisinopril. It's unreal how dizy and tired I am. Plus how fast the med works. I went from high 160s/95+ to 102/72. I'm glad for the low blood pressure, but a few more points and I will be hypotensive instead of hypertensive.

3. Houda

Houda New Member

Yay for not getting chickenpox? apparently iv gotten the vaccine for it so I never will (according to my mum), but that's some good advice I don't think people have realised how much fast food, Internet, everything in general with the rise in technology really affects our health. Ipods on full blast etc. You think you'll be ok since well your parents aren't so bad but what we don't realise is that we live in a very different time that is evolving so fast the future really cannot be predicted, like the long term affects of the food we eat. Sure they research it and such but in 40 years we will really see the affects when there are huge rises in cancer patients and such.

4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I just pulled out the pamphlet, and here are the buzz words.

It defines shingles as "Herpes Zoster." It also states that shingles is caused by "the Varicella virus."

The rash is referred to as "post-herpetic neuralgia."

The shot I received is defined as "a vaccine for shingles (that) was licensed in 2006."

The info on this pamphlet can be obtained at www.cdc.gov/vaccines

I hope this information helps.

5. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Not really as Herpes Zoster is the chicken pox virus. :) I wonder if it's just a booster. Varicella is also the chicken pox vaccine. What happens is the virus stays in your system post infection and can settle in the nerves. Although you won't get chicken pox again, like any Herpes infection, it can flare later (normally in adulthood) and cause nerve pain where it erupts again.

One of my patients has it around her eye. It looks incredibly painful. :(

6. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

They told me I got a vaccination for shingles.

If I indeed got a booster, would it help?

7. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

It may be you got a booster already, which is what is protecting you against shingles. I don't know. I'm only just now starting my health care education.

8. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Well, I just got back from the gym. The malaise is gone, my triceps stopped hurting, but I'm still black and blue. LOL, in other words, it's like an average Tuesday.

Word has it that even with the shot I've only reduced my chances by 50%. Granted, I'll take it, but I thought vaccinations gave you immunity.

(BTW, if you don't mind me asking about your handle, are you a firearms instructor specializing in larger caliber defensive weapons? To us, BFG means *ahem* 'big gun.')

9. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

No LOL. It stands for breastfeeding. I used to host a very large lactation forum at a pregnancy website. When I finished my lactation courses the participants decided I needed a new name and a contest ensued. LOL. BFGuru was the result and it's just sort of stuck with me through various sites. It's evidence that I am not original, even when I try. ;)

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

LOL. Well, that makes sense! And it explains your interest in medicine.

However, there are numerous gunfighting schools, like Gunsite Raven and Lethal Force Institute. They usually train with .45 ACP 1911 Colts. It has a larger bore, hence a "BFG."

Your avatar made you look like a sweet young thing, but to be fair, there are many licensed female instructors.

Speaking of medicine, the pain is gone, but I have to tell you, I have a bruise like nobody's business. Is this an intramuscular injection? Yikes.