1. Countess Word

Countess Word New Member

Plagiarism and Fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Countess Word, Jul 22, 2013.

Hi everyone! First time posting a thread here! :)

I was wondering; if you write a fanfiction (and publish it on a fanfiction site) but change the names (and features) to your own characters when you want to publish the fanfiction as an original story, is it still considered plagiarism? I ask because I can't understand the whole thing surrounding the '50 Shades of Grey' trilogy! What I can understand is that the author wrote a twilight-fanfiction, but just changing the names to her own wasn't enough? It was still considered plagiarism? Or was it?

Where does the line go between fanfiction, plagiarism and original fiction? If I wrote a fanfiction and put it up on the web, would I still be able to take quotes from the fanfiction and use as original quotes in my original story?

Feel free to direct me to another thread if this already has been answered somewhere :)

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributing Member Contributor

There's no fixed line in law as to when something is in violation of copyright and when it's not. That gets decided on a case-by-case basis in a court of law.

In the case you've outlined, from the sounds of it you'd have the same world, the same setting, and the same characters even if they did have different names. I find it hard to believe the original publishing house would just let that fly if you did get your story published.

I've not read 50 Shades or Twilight so I don't want to comment too much on that one, but from what I gather while E L James kept the character relationships, the characters themselves and the setting were all different.

3. Countess Word

Countess Word New Member

Okay, thank you so much for your answer :)

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Fanfiction can be 'scrubbed' to make it a publishable work - but the scrubbing has to be pretty thorough. Just changing the character names and looks aren't anywhere near enough.