Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Plagiarism

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Jack Asher, Mar 26, 2014.

Interesting article on The Guardian concerning plagiarism. Relevant given celebparia Shia LeBeouf's recent actions.

It's the intro that gets me, that singe sentences might not be your original thought. What it implies is that anyone might, by virtue of parallel thinking become a plagiarist, just from having the same idea and expressing it with words.

The article doesn't say that, I'm saying that.

Thoughts?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/21/rise-plagiarism-internet-shia-labeouf

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There are some sentences that are so common that they're bound to show up often. Even a variation of "Maman died today." (from Camus' The Stranger) is forgivable because the sentence itself is so short. Then there are cases where it's obvious the writer plagiarized (i.e., if someone wrote something very similar to the first sentence of Joyce's Finnegan's Wake).

Plagiarizing ideas is a tricky business, and I'm not sure where the boundaries are. If the selection, arrangement, and presentation of the idea is the same, then some might say that constitutes plagiarism. In literature, however, authors sometimes tend to reference and allude to other works, so others might argue that we should be more lenient. I think the best we can do here is look at it on a case-by-case basis.

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Contributing Member

I didn't think borrowing, using ideas qualified as plagiarism. However, LeBeouf didn't borrow, from what I heard, his film was nearly scene for scene, word for word, an exact copy of the graphic novel, without any credit due the original creator.

4. Jack Asher

His apologies were also plagiarized. As was his explanation for all the plagiarism.

5. Robert_S

Robert_S Contributing Member

I KNOW! When I heard he copy and pasted his apology from a web post on how to properly apologize, I started laughing. Has he not a single creative steak in him?

Do you guys think that's a career ender for him?

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

As I have always understood the words, plagiarism is the use of someone else's words or ideas or other work without giving credit. You can definitely get into big trouble if, for example, you write an academic paper using your own voice and your own words but someone else's ideas, but you don't give that someone else credit. But that's big acadamic/professional trouble; I don't think that it's in any way illegal.

Copyright is the use of someone else's words or other work that exists in a fixed form of expression. Copyright doesn't care about taking other people's ideas. But copyright doesn't forgive you for giving credit.

Copyright is a legal matter, plagiarism is more of an academic/professional matter.

I didn't intend to write definitions when I started this, but, hey, I'll hit Post anyway. :)

7. Jack Asher

I don't know, but I know I'm not see another of his movies. Well, not paying to anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.