1. Lathya

Lathya New Member

50 Word Stories

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Lathya, Jan 12, 2010.

The purpose of this game is to challenge yourself to be as creative as you can, in about 50 words. Just write a short story in, you guessed it, 50 words using the theme that the avi above you has chosen. You don't need to do exactly 50 words, I'm not going to demand a word count.

First Theme: Bike Ride

Zipping down the empty pathways he raced, against no one in particular. The wind pulled on his hair as he peddled faster and faster, just enjoying the feeling of freedom and speed. If it weren't for the oncoming exhaustion and thirst, he may continue on forever.

Next Theme: Waking up

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Alfie's senses came alive, one by one. Surroundings, dense vegetation, the sound of water trickling nearby.

Alfie rose upon three spidery legs, its sensory cluster sweeping in all directions. Detecting electromagnetic activity nearby, it travelled south. At the city’s edge, Alfie woke fully, greeting the city with nuclear fire.

Next theme: Mealtime

3. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

The meat put up a fight in Johnny’s mouth. That loud noise made it hard to eat, but he couldn’t eat in the quiet either. He brought his fork down, cut with the knife, and chewed another bite. The human animal strapped to his table started screaming full blast again.

Next theme: foresight

4. MiwAuturu

MiwAuturu New Member

He knew it was coming. There was nothing he could do to avoid the question, of course he didn’t know the answer, but that wouldn’t stop her. The waiting was probably the worst part, just knowing that it was coming.

“So honey, what are we going to do today?”

Next Theme: the stars

5. Coldwriter

Coldwriter New Member

Some say in an idealistic bubble they cant wait to
    The actor exited the limo and strolled towards Greg and Jenny.
    "Heyyy, Johnny."
    Johnny clearly saw the pair but didn't take any notice of them.
    “Johnny, man!"
    He was busy kissing a pretty girl's hand.
    "Cocky bastard.” Greg snarled.
    "What a jerk." Jenny replied.
    "Yeah, that's my brother for ya.”

next theme: Rockets

6. Snazzy_Boots_7

Snazzy_Boots_7 New Member

Wrenching the throttle backwards, Chief Superintendent Lewis flew back in his seat, as gravity took over. NO! They were firing the missiles - the rocket was launching- he had to stop it! The bomb! Accelerate, 'come on'...
    MISSILE INCOMING

Next theme: COOKIES!!!

7. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    I starred at the final cookie unable to bring myself to eat it. the mind was willing but the body was trying not to throw up the last one, and the 43 before that. My father was the master of strange and unusual punnishments.
    i will never steal a cookie again.

next one: you have 45 seconds

8. finchgeam

finchgeam New Member

I was trapped inside the room. I freaked out and began trying to open the door. As I punched the door again and again I noticed a bomb. I only had 45 seconds to live. I used my last seconds to do what I loved, I spent them chewing gum.

Next Theme: Hidden room

9. 8-cell

8-cell New Member

The discovery was astonishing. Love potions, the elixir of life, instructions on how to transmutate common metals into gold - all were here in this hidden room. I stood there in awe, completely baffled. It was my great grandfather's laboratory, and it was where he defied the laws of modern science. Alchemy exists, and through my protection, no one else will ever know.

Next theme: Greed

10. JodieLK

JodieLK New Member

There it lay, in glistening towers, in heaps of abundance. Gold all about her. The shine of it enchanted her, it enticed her. She sifted it through the many rings on her fingers, heaped it upon her skirts. Yet, could it ever truly buy her what she so desired? Love?

Next Theme: Anger

11. 8-cell

8-cell New Member

Forgive and forget? Certainly, that sounded absurd to him. The only thing on his mind was revenge for what they did to his family. Not a single tear dropped from his eyes, but the grief would undoubtedly strike him later. Fueled by anger, he picked up his weapon and set out with no concern for consequences.

Next theme: Card Tricks

12. -oz

-oz Active Member

The deck was on the table. I slipped in my random card, the six of clubs. He shuffled the deck four times.

"Please, do the same."

I did, all four times. He then cut the deck.

He was smiling as he flipped the top card over: the six of clubs.

Next theme: Falling Asleep

13. art

art Contributor Contributor

At the front, I slept with broken limbs for pillows. The screams of rockets were my lullabies. The sobs of mates were my bedtime stories.

Yet, here, now, I cannot sleep. Your blonde hair pulled tight; your robust pyjamas; this cold distance, admits no peace.

Next theme: prayer

14. -oz

-oz Active Member

"Oh, God."

Our bed sheets had turned a bright, sticky red with her blood. The flowers I brought home dropped, my fingers forgotten. My eyes couldn’t turn away from this nightmare come true. Only my periphrial vision caught the gunman coming around the corner, aimed at me.

"Lord, have mercy."

Next theme: The Sun

15. LucifersAngel

LucifersAngel New Member

To other children the sun was a sign of warmth, of happiness. To Kiki it was one of disdain. A constant reminder of her difference to her friends. The reason she was tormented at school mercilessly. For an albino to walk in the path of the sun meant extreme pain, or embarrassment or both. She sighed as she gazed out of her window at the cursed object.

Next theme, Immortal.

16. Eliron

Eliron New Member

Double attack.

'Thinking about you', he'd written in the blue-rimmed status box. Urgently, I'd hoped that 'you' was 'me'. Two days later, while out shopping at Whiteleys, I see 'you'. 'You' has the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. She's also in a wheelchair, and the look on his face says that pushing 'you' gives him more joy than I could have given him in all eternity.

Next theme: Infatuation

17. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

Infatuation:

Looking at her gracious body reminds me of exotic, oriental spices that I have only smelt but never tasted. Her light pastel dress is vivid as the mildest incense from heaven. Her dancing, brown hair makes me think of cinnamon. It is not like I want to breathe fire, but it's a fire I can't control.

Next theme: School

18. conniewong

conniewong New Member

School:

The bell rang and all the girls rushed down to the playground, except one, Grace, who went up the stairs. Away from the crowd and away from the noise, she walked and walked. “Finally, “she said with an exhale as she turned her pocket for the mobile.

Next theme: grass

19. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

The grassland stretched from horizon to horizon beneath the dim glow of stars.
    It had been a long journey for Turok and his tribe. But the promise of a new beginning
    invigorated his tired beaten body more that any elixir could.

"Behold the promised land!" he shouted.

Next theme: chivalry

20. fwair

fwair New Member

It was a cold night, made colder by this cascading rain. Mother always told me to be prepared, and I was. I walked to the door and spied a woman and her child without a tool with which to fight the elements. I held open the door, handed them the umbrella, and wished them a fair evening.

Next Theme: The Final Shot

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Spain. The civil war. Rebels have been shooting at a convoy, having ambushed it, for several minutes. The warm meditation sun is warming men of both sides as they hide from gun fire. There is only one government soldier left, and with their last bullet the rebels kill him.

Next Theme: Space.

22. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

They are sitting apart. They do not speak, do not gradually edge closer to one another. Near to hyperventilation, one looks up towards the other and wonders when they will be able to touch, to feel the other’s warm breathing upon them.
    And wish one could enter the other’s space.

Next theme: Sealife.

23. art

art Contributor Contributor

He was, you might say, a fisherman of the sea of life. He sometimes fished for compliments. Sometimes for love. Sometimes, simply, for the joy of fishing. His catch was sometimes meagre and sometimes bountiful. He caught many things, but never, it would seem, the inspiration and discipline required to produce a short story of fifty words or less.

Next theme: retail therapy

24. coffeebeanmachine

coffeebeanmachine New Member

She needs these shoes like Charlie Sheen needs a martini. The soft leather; the beautiful lines; the embrace of her feet: they’re everything she wants, and for a few moments the late-night arguments and dirty diapers follow the two hundred and eleven dollars and ninety-eight cents into the register.

Subject: Tightwad