1. That Silly Welsh Guy

That Silly Welsh Guy Senior Member

Playlists

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by That Silly Welsh Guy, Jul 22, 2009.

I've seen the 'Music for Writing' forums around here, but I think this is a slightly different topic so I hope you don't mind me putting up another topic.

I've done some reading around some original fictional works online lately and have noticed a reasonably common theme keeps popping up and that is the inclusion of a 'playlist' of music tracks that spans the entirety of the novel/short story. That is to say, an excerpt of a certain song that sums up the theme/mood/message of the chapter is placed at the top of the piece before the actual narrative starts. And I just wanted to gauge opinion on the matter; what do you think of author's contruction a 'novel playlist? Do you do it yourself perhaps? Is it at all beneficial to the writing process? And, does it add something to the story?

Thoughts please. :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You had better contact the copyright owner of each lyric first, and get written permission. Expect to pay for the privilege, unless you are more famous than the lyricist.

3. ScHaLl

ScHaLl Senior Member

Not bad, as long as the excerpt is really short and straight to the point.

4. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Contributing Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    Starting each section of the narrative with an excerpt from lyrics isn't really any different to doing so with a brief quote - if done well, it can help to set the tone for the following events. You'd need to be careful that the tone was clear from the lyrics alone though, since there's a good chance most readers won't know the tune.

And, yeah, legal issues.

5. Kirvee

Kirvee Contributing Member

*point to her blog in her signature*

Yes, I do it. It's fun and can kinda help when writing.

As far as adding to the story? Hmm....I suppose you could say it can add a little flair of personality to the story and/or characters. It can also help people understand a character or event more. Music is a powerful force, after all.