1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Alternative to powers/spirit/energy

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Aug 18, 2010.

My character keeps using his powers but it sounds naff lol - I want an alternative. I almost put spirit sitting for one lol (but thats the 17th Century term for witchcraft not what I am wanting).

The powers come from a meditation he uses, and he can tap into the universal processes. Just not sure how to explain it. Noone really used 'powers' that often in the previous story they just happened.

2. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

"Aura"?

1 person likes this.
  3. Elgaisma

ooh like that just wonder if its a bit girly?

4. bloodfire

bloodfire New Member

If you've ever been around a gangster they exude and Aura that is everything BUT girly.

5. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Just give him a big flame-thrower and dispense with the need for magic.

Far more effective, IMO. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Elgaisma

LOL Halcyon actually contemplating it for the third book.

7. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Three kids and 604 posts, Charlotte?

Admit it - you don't do any writing!

8. Elgaisma

LOL my second book is now at around 10-15000 words, just deleted loads so not sure exactly.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The days are longer in Scotland.

;)

On topic: This is the problem with special powers. Characters tend to use them a lot and problems get solved too easily and the readers have a hard time relating to a character who isn't subject to the limitations they are.

Can you have him lose his power temporarily? Force him to deal with problems the way normal people have to?

10. Elgaisma

He does he goes blind midway through and loses some of his powers as a result. But they don't get used that much they are not really for solving problems. But would just like a better way of describing them I like aura.

Also you don't have to go to Litae (my planet) to do some of the magic in my book, just a meditation session will accomplish some of it. Everyone can do the start of the basic magic power

11. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

In my story, characters have "tricks" (Like doppelganger creation, crowd manipulation and slipping through space) that they can do only a few times before the universe catches on and stops them from ever using them again, but no-one's quite sure how often they can happen or what will happen when the universe catches on. Some big tricks can only happen once ever. So, most people who can do tricks (and there's not many) try to avoid them when possible.

So, my description is "tricks," because any trick is based on fooling either everyone else or some aspect of the universe in general. "Aura" usually refers to seeing something about a person- someone's aura is usually a mystical shell that surrounds them. There's a whole colour system and everything. Traditionally, anyway.

1 person likes this.
  12. Elgaisma

think aura describes what happens in my book better than tricks as the whole spirit connects with universal powers. I'm still having a gut feeling that its not quite right but I have inserted aura into the book.

13. AnonEMoss

AnonEMoss New Member

Sounds similar to the book I'm writing, although the "powers" are only available during his lucid dreams/astral projections. (achieved through meditation of course;))

I don't think I used the word "powers" once so far. It is scientifically true that our reality is merely an illusion created by energy in superposition, a state of pure potentiality, being condensed into a slow vibration by our consciousness, which is what creates what we experience as "matter."

I believe the EXACT same thing is going on in a dream, just potentiality, pure possibility, being collapsed into what seems like "matter" just by the act of looking. Although a dream is a reality with no rules... Astral Realms are realities with more relaxed rules, and waking reality has very strict rules which are nearly impossible to break. (nearly ;))

In my book the character learns how to use his intent to condense the fabric of his reality and pull alternate potentials into existence. His go-to "trick" is to focus the energy around him in the atmosphere into his palms and slow the vibration enough to make it "solid", then using his intent to send it thundering towards his enemies. Otherwise known as a "psi ball", like a ball of pure energy.

And just like you were saying, this is not fiction, this can actually be done! Anyone can do these things if they spend the time to learning how to meditate and shift into other reality frames. It's just a matter detaching from this vibration and shifting to a different frequency. ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. Elgaisma

Trick feels wrong for mine, its not part of lucid dreaming, its done whilst awake. There are no exciting flashes of light etc it just occurs, hmm lol Because of the position of the planet its not really a trick its as real as this gets.

I need something that sounds solid and real and not sure the word exists lol may have to make one up:)

Is Vitality too weird? because they are using their life force and source?

15. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Trick is the word I chose because it's tricking the universe.

Yours is using some sort of universal energy- perhaps "tapping" or "channeling" could be your word. Or "steering" or "directing" or something similar.

16. Elgaisma

thats the feel I am after the Universal Father channels the energy that my character taps into - I am beginning to think conducting might be the word I am after. My character is growing into the conductor of universal energy.

However if anyone has a more sparkling idea I am quite willing to steal it lol