1. cgodoy

cgodoy New Member

Please enlighten me...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by cgodoy, Jul 25, 2014.

Hi.

I am here because I need the help of writers to learn about how to deal with writers, especially when it comes selecting writers for work, what my needs actually are and how to properly / honestly compensate them. Any and all help would be appreciated, from articles I should be reading to questions you may want to ask.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Are you looking for ghost writers, collaborators, contributors... ???

3. cgodoy

cgodoy New Member

Well that is part of it, I'm not sure of the classification. Right now I am in the process of building my website for the company I'm starting. I've written the all the content, not much, but it covers my ideas. However, I also know that..

"The man who wants to tell you what a house should
    look like must either be able to design it better--or shut up." -Ayn Rand

..so I need a writer to fix it, correct the spelling, make it read better. Generally have a writer make it all sound better. Your opinions?

4. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

I have opinions, but I'll leave it to the experts.

5. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

You just need someone to proof it that has some experience of writing for the market you are in. It is certainly not rocket science. What is your business? Mostly it comes down to, who are your potential customers, and what do they want to know about what you do? What are the questions they will want easily, and quickly answered?

6. cgodoy

cgodoy New Member

Okay, so I can put out a call for writers experienced in web content focusing on business and game presentation. So I'm assuming that it would be a pretty straight forward transaction, I would provide what I wrote and ask the writer to fix it after a discussion on what my needs are. Aside from the questions above what are some other questions should I have in mind?

What about rates, while I don't want to nickle and dime, I am also working another job to make all this happen. Opinions on this?

7. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I am not sure you'll get too many useful answers from us here. We are mostly creative writers, as the forum name suggests, and we are mostly working on fictional stories, novels we want to publish, stuff like that. It's like asking JK Rowling how much she'd charge to write some content for a website (gross hyperbole, but you get the point). And while a lot of us have written non-fiction before, it tends to be within our primary profession, which ranges from law and medicine, teaching, classic, physics, engineering etc. But that's our day jobs, not really what we are here for. I am not aware of anyone here who is doing a lot of pay-per-word writing for websites, although I hope there are some, so you can get at least some answers about specifics you are after.

8. Mike Kobernus

I know a pro writer, who DOES do web content. Not sure she would be interested in it if you already have all the content though. But you can PM me and I will put you in touch with her.

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

A side note: if you switch from editing/proofreading to having a writer actually write material for you, you'll want to make sure that your contract gives you full ownership/copyright/blah to the work. (Which means that you'll need a contract, which you may not have considered yet.) Just paying someone to create a copyrightable work doesn't necessarily give you exclusive rights.

10. cgodoy

cgodoy New Member

I really appreciate the input, and the temporary visa into the writer's den. I'll definitely be keeping on the top of the contracts, so my final question for the moment will be: Any preferences for job posting sites that I should look at.

11. Mike Kobernus

elance

GingerCoffee likes this.
  12. cgodoy

cgodoy New Member

Thank you everyone for you input.

13. PowerUnit

PowerUnit New Member

Try www.elance.com It is an e-commerce site for freelance writers and programmers.