1. dscott25

dscott25 New Member

Quick question! :)

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by dscott25, Jul 20, 2008.

I wasn't for sure where this topic should go but I had a question and if this isn't where it goes, I apolize. If I posted a personal essay as a blog, would it work against me if I wanted it published one day? Thank you all for answering! :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is best placed under General Writing -> Publishers, so I'm moving it there.

As for the question itself, I don't know how much first publication rights factors in to sales in the essays market. Publishing on a blog would probably prevent you from selling your piece if first publication is a key bargaining point, though, so my thought would be not to risk it.

3. dscott25

dscott25 New Member

Thank you Cogito. First publication rights had entered my mind but I just didn't think that Blogging would be considered wrong. Wanted to make sure. Thank you! :)

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Aye, like Cog said, you would lose your first publishing rights if you were to post your entire blog here. However, I am not sure if this applies if you only post a little part of it, or sections of it, but not all. I think you should look it up on the interenet if you are really interested to be honest with you.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

being in a blog is no different from posting it anywhere on the net... if it's the whole piece, you use up your first rights... if it's just an excerpt, you don't...