1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Fantasy vs. Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JTheGreat, Jun 27, 2010.

I've recently been having second thoughts about my story. I realized that I could change genres to make it possibly more appealing, but it would require a rework of the plot, in addition to research.

I'm talking about the epic switch: fantasy to sci-fi.

My story could work either way. If it were fantasy, it would chart the "wonders" of psychics as they dominate sociologically in a medieval-ish setting. If it were sci-fi, it would be psychics doing something psychic-y in present day, perhaps a government project or something (like THAT hasn't been done before *Rolls Eyes*...). Both would make decent stories, but I'm more comfortable writing the first premise, whereas I think the second one would be more interesting and impressive if I manage to pull off the suspension of disbelief.

So my question to you is: fantasy or sci-fi? Where do you stand?

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Why not write them both? If they are both stories you would like to write then why should you limit yourself to just 1? It sounds like they are two majorly different stories anyways and should be treated as such. No sense in reworking your entire story when you can just... write a completely different one. That is if I understood you correctly.

Also while maybe it has been done... I do enjoy a good story about governments doing top secret things with psychics and the likes. :p

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Which will best convey the story you want to tell, JTheGreat?

Which will you enjoy the most writing? You're going to be writing and reading and revising/editing for several passes at least, and then if you find a publisher, you'll work with an editor and read it--revise/edit one or two more times, minimum.

So, if it will work either way, and will be probably equal in quality (storyline, etc.), pick the version/genre you will enjoy working with (or in) the most.

At least that's how I see it.

Terry

4. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

That's the problem.... I'm more comfortable in fantasy, but sci-fi seems so... FUN. I guess it's a battle between the familiar and the exciting.

5. VisiblePoltergeist

VisiblePoltergeist New Member

My location when I'm online is usually in front of
    lol I say combine the two, but that kind of answer you might not be satisfied with.

If your more comfortable with fantasy, I'm guessing that probably means you're pretty much used to it and might slightly bore you and if you find science fiction exciting, you might as well do it. Do whatever you'll have the most fun in, but that's just my opinion.

6. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

I'm with Unit7 on this one. If nothing else, look at stuff like the Warhammer universe, which incorporates both a fantasy story and a science fiction story. They literally are separate but have exceedingly similar stories.

7. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

You could always try something called: Magictech.

Its much like Steampunk. But Magictech can go either fantasy or science fiction. And it allows for a board variety of uses for both genres.

Magictech. Is technology ran by magic.

But then even magic in magictech is more psychic energy rather than regular good old magic.

8. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Sounds like the kind of stuff they use in Artemis Fowl.

It doesn't really sound fit for the kind of sci-fi story I'd write. The basis of my sci-fi would be that the characters are well, psychic. But, no aliens, no worm holes, no death rays....

9. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

But if I do go with sci-fi, I wouldn't know where to start, what with the suspension of disbelief, whether or not the psychic powers should be real or synthetic, how to government would play a part, stuff like that.

10. ToxicWaste

ToxicWaste New Member

The problem with fantasy is that you've got to set the ground rules. Ya know, what is possible with magic and what isn't. Whether or not there are any weakness to magic or countermeasures that can be taken. You could pull an "artemis foul" and just straight up explain the rules (i.e. the fairy's book) or let the reader discover them.

However this whole problem can be somewhat circumvented by sci-fi or more accurately hard sci-fi where the rules are simply modern physics.

11. CaKsTeR

CaKsTeR New Member

Although I'm more of a sci-fi fan than fantasy, I like the idea of combining them both. It's done quite often in fiction (Artemis Fowl as an example, like others have said) and if you do it just right you can bypass the annoying necessities of each genre, mainly explanation-wise.

I think both of your ideas are quite interesting, and I agree that you really shouldn't just write one if you like both of them. Nothing's stopping you from composing them both!