1. The Eternal Brats

The Eternal Brats New Member

Plot conflict, can't figure out what to center my story around

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The Eternal Brats, Aug 2, 2011.

K I have a story about the evolution of man. there are currently three factions:
    -Humans
    -H sapians- Humaniod creature, the next step in human evolution, consided mutaints
    -Alchemists- humans with a mastery of science and technology.
    Each are trying to stake their claim of existance. Now there are a few more elements however it mixes up all over the place. i want it to become multiple part series.

past- prehistoric battle- basically how we came to be, the rule of Hsapians

prolog- heaven/hell/ pergatory

Present- the existance war

have so many elements hard to string them together

2. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

I would try implementing all of them myself. Obviously the story must be in the present time period. The only issue is what is this present time period like in the world. If we are talking small clumps of civilization around the medieval period then I can see a few ways to introduce the past. My personal favorite would be to have a group of people gathered around a fire and tell the tale like a native american story.
    Now if we are going into modern times the ideas get a little streched as everyone should know these stories anyways unless this is not common knowledge. So I think, for me atleast, I would like to know what sort of time period we are talking about before I suggest ideas that are way off track.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You might want to review the four elements of plot: actor, goal or objective, motivation, and opposition. You can have many plots interacting (and usually will) to drive a story.

See What is Plot Creation and Development?

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Well, spend some time thinking about it. Work at it. That's really all there is to it. Remove elements that seem contrived. Work at it.

5. The Eternal Brats

actor: Jaxson-(an 18 year old boy who looks 15yo, with multiple personalities), Nalah-(A power hungry girl who is trying to stake her claim on the world, Gabe-(an orphan who follows Peter until he is abandoned by him and saved by Jaxson and Nalah), Nate-(an orphan who wants to run things, to be incharge, he follows loyally one of Jaxson's personas (Micheal)), Adela-(a 6 year old girl, who follows the crew, cute but dangerous).
    , goal: To survive the extermination of their kind, Jaxson to reclaim his true self and repair his soul, stop the production of the monsters known as humonculi.
    or objective.
    , motivation: Jaxson: Has lost himself and now is only left with his multiple personas, he wants to know who and what he truely is.
    Nalah: Wants the power needed to take revenge on the ones who murdered her family and ruined her life.
    Gabe: to learn how to control his powers, and to find a place where he belongs.
    Nate: Wants the power to rule over others, power = security
    Adela: ?
    , and opposition:
    Peter-wants the power jaxson has, and will stop at nothing to get it.
    Alchemist- want to dominate the world and kill all others
    Humunculi- complete destruction
    Humans- to turn these natural super humans into weapons of war, also enslavement of all non humans.

6. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Have you come up with the devices to solve these problems? Do you have a plot for the MC to discover these devices? Are you thinking of any subplots like romance?

Also, what is the main story or theme you are trying to tell or get across? What is the conflict in the story, man vs. man, man vs. self, man vs. nature/god or what? Who or what are the antagonists and protagonists and how do the relate to the MC?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A plot is not a storyline. A plot is a building block, like a Lego piece, You combine them in different ways to form the structural foundation of your story.

A plot is ONE actor, ONE goal or objective, ONE motivational force, and ONE oppositional force,

For convenience, you may be able to view a group of plots with the same actor and the same goal together, but first you should learn to recognize them individually.

For example:

Nalah is the actor.
    The goal is to win a class election.
    Her motivation is to strengthen her power base even more
    Her opposition is another plot:

Gabe is the actor
    Gabe wants to win the class election
    His motivation is to nbe taken seriously for once in his life.
    His opposition is Nalah's plot above.

These are aopposing plots - no more than one of these actors can attain the goal (additional plots may mean neither can win)

These are very simple plots, but by combining them with other plots, you can come up with a very complex story. Also, by choosing different motivations or oppositions, you can vary the level of conflict, and therefore the tension.

8. The Eternal Brats

K thanks for sort of explaining that i work from ur format:
    Nalah is the actor.
    The goal is to win gain more power.
    Her motivation is to strengthen her power so that she can get revenge on those who slaughtered her family.
    Her opposition is another plot: Father Ramule (highly religious human, with a scientific back ground, who is trying to start an all out war on Nalah's kind "for the greater good".

Gabe is the actor
    Gabe wants to find a place where he belongs.
    His motivation is being abanded and betrayed has led him to have trust issues, but wishes more than anything to belong.
    His opposition is himself: Due to his upbring or lack there of, Gabe has a tendancy to betray others and to act as if nothing matters to him, needless to say it scares away others. also meaning he sabotages the group alot.
    Gabe is rival to Nate.

9. The Eternal Brats

Nate is an actor
    Nate's goal is to control or dominate his reality.
    Nate's motivation for this is that all his life others have had control over him and now he wants to break free from the oppression and the only way out he sees is to be the oppresser.
    His opposition is the fact that others seem to have more power then him, he lacks the power that is required to dominate others.
    Rivals with Gabe over Jaxson for he seems to be the key to what they want

Jaxson is a multitude of actors
    his goal is to find, repair, and reawaken to his true self.
    His motivation is that the fragments of his soul are constantly wrestling for control of the body (jaxson) and it's destroying his life.
    His opposition: himself- the true self who does not want to be found, Peter- who wants the powers that jaxson wields and wants him to stay broken so he can be studied, and the seperate factions- for they only see him as a powerful tool and keep feeding him lies about his hazy past to gain his aligence.

10. demonmr98

demonmr98 New Member

I really like your idea! Though I'm not sure how to help you, I just wanna say pursue the idea.

11. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I would find it rather difficult myself, for you're approaching your world-building through details and accounts that won't have a meaning unless you flesh a story out of them. And here's where you intervene—what is the story you want to tell? What event would you rather center your characters on, or what plot do you see yourself coming up with? In the end it's you who decides what story to tell, otherwise writing would be a pretty dubious task. :p

12. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

Perhaps I have been reading on the forums on world building so much that I think I've observed there is more focus on the world and all the perceived cool elements that it is forgotten that any story written is a human story.

No matter the breadth or enormity of a story, all stories center around the commonality of all humans; our emotional journey.

Someone in real life trying to get his/her boss to see that they are doing a good job is not terribly different in emotion to a young prince trying to prove to his dad that he is brave.

What is the emotion or common experience to a reader that this character will have to overcome.

Once you have established this, your story will much more easily form around it.