1. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

Is this a good plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Magnatolia, Mar 18, 2014.

Hi guys,

I asked a ghostwriter to write me a novella in the msytery-suspense area. She offered me a plot starter that sounded great. It was about a war between two nations, had wizards, and there was a girl, a demi-goddess that would choose the side that was meant to be victorious. She did mention a small sentence at the end about love.

Anyway, the result that came back, well I think it's a really good story, except it was mainly about the love interest so it essentially falls into the romance category. Luckily this is quite a popular category.

The general plot is that there are two nations warring for land. The second in command, the protagonist, is a pagan-turned devout christian. The pagan demi-goddess that is supposed to choose a side comes to them, although the wizard they know was involved in this. She doesn't actually know what she's doing or who she is, only that this is her duty. Sure enough the enemy begins to starve as their water suppy becomes contaminated among other things.

The Christian 2IC and the demi-goddess begin to flirt and fall in love, and they are conflicted because of their differences in beliefs. Plus they don't know what will happen to her once the war is over as her duty will be finished. So they're constantly fighting their attraction for each other, and the others who disagree. Eventually they get married, and at the end of the novella his wife disappears and he turns to the drink as he cannot bear to be without her. Then there's an epilogue and they hear of another war and similar thing are happening there. It turns out that his wife has been called back by her duty to Mother Nature.

What do you think? I'm not big on romance books but the twist definitely had me wanting to read more. It would be an interesting twist if she had to fight for the other side.

2. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

You didn't even write it?

3. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

The term ghostwriter was a pretty big clue ;)

4. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I don't understand people who use ghostwriters...

Anyway, I'm indifferent. A good idea on paper can yield an awful book, and a terrible idea could be a great book. Just write it.

cutecat22 likes this.
  5. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Nor do I! I just plain don't understand.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

You lost me at "I asked a ghostwriter".

cutecat22 likes this.
  7. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

"I asked a ghostwriter to write me a novella in the msytery-suspense area."

Even worse?

"Hello, please write a book. Oh, before you throw this in the bin, there's five thousand quid attached ;) chop chop"

8. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I thought only celebrities and busy politicians had ghost writers.

9. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

Maybe Magnatolia is a celebrity, though they tend to opt for autobiographies rather than mystery-suspense novellas.

Renee J likes this.
  10. photojazz

photojazz New Member

You want to be an author, right? Or is this required writing? There's a basic right of passage violation here, or something. I have started 2 books this year, and used my own ideas for both. So, I can't really help with writing someone Else's story. Not many if any writers can, in good faith help develop someone Else's story that is supposed to be your story.

Write your own story, and then maybe you will know whether it is a good story/plot.

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I join everyone else in being confused--especially since you apparently didn't even create the plot? Fairly frequently people come along thinking that they have a great idea and that the writing is the easy part, for which they can hire someone. (And people here clear up that delusion.) But it appears that you didn't contribute to this book at all?

cutecat22 likes this.
  12. Wowzie

Wowzie Member

For what purpose are you asking if this is a good plot?

Are you an investor, and hoping for returns?

13. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

What's the point in writing a book... and not even writing it yourself?

I write to... bloody write!

14. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

I'd like to write a witty post to this thread, but am a bit squeezed for time. Any volunteers to ghost-write it for me? :)

But in answer to the original question, I'm not into romance, and as a fantasy novel it sounds pretty derivative. Yes, the book might be great regardless, but the synopsis doesn't make me want to read the full story. On the other hand, I have no idea whether others would like it or not - that's just my personal take on it.

15. vera2014

vera2014 Member

It's an interesting plot. I have some suggestions: I think the demi-goddess should fight for both sides at the same time and then she should betray both of them to a third nation run by evil Elves. This would force the two warring nations to hide all their pizza in secret tombs. The epilogue should show the demi-goddess eating pizza like Katy Perry in Dark horse, only wearing 70s makeup, while the elves dance around her in their underwear. ;) Just kidding. The plot is fine the way it is.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  16. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

I wish the OP would come back and explain this to us. I'm so baffled.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  17. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

I liked @vera2014 's one, about hiding pizza in secret tombs. Elves in underwear, my favorite thing! :p

Ok, going back to the point: for me isn't good at first time, maybe if it is well written, without falling into commonplace, can be something good.

18. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

a wha...?!?

19. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Nah, I think he's just having us all on.

20. plothog

Yes you're right that's the most likely explanation. (But not the most interesting.)

21. stormr

stormr Member

Isn't it funner to write your own stories. That's were all the creativity comes from. The passion just isn't there to write someone else's ideas. You'd get bored fast, and your heart just wouldn't be in it.

22. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

Hi all, wow...just wow. I originally signed up to this forum because I expected a forum where people would be open to all kinds of ideas and journeys. Yet apparently if you don't go down the 'write for the love of writing even if you don't get paid for it.' Most of the responses were unfortunately less than spectaculary and clearly with an underlying message of thumbing your nose at people who don't write for the same reasons you do.

Stormr and everyone else who has the same mindset, some people write and publish for financial reasons, others write because it's their purpose or their mission in life to write. Neither are wrong and both are right, unless of course the writing is low quality and provides no value to the reader.

Thank you to those who answered the question genuinely. Especially Vera, I might dodge the pizza idea ;) but I did really like the idea of her betraying both of them.

Oh, btw, I do like to write, I've actually hit pretty close to the 20k mark on a series of short non-fiction books about motivation and personal transformation all heavily based on my personal life. One topic inspired me to write 8,000 words in a weekend which I was really proud of.

23. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't know about everybody else, and I didn't respond earlier, but what put me off jumping into the fray was the idea of the ghostwriter. At what level would you be involved in the story? I am genuinely puzzled. In this latest post you say you like to write, and have written 8,000 words in a weekend. Thats' pretty good going. So why do you need a ghostwriter? And if a ghostwriter is writing your story instead of you, I'm not sure why you need input from the forum?

I do get the idea of publishing for financial reasons versus writing for the love of it. But I don't get the link with the ghostwriter. Unless you are a person who wants to do an autobiography and don't feel you can write well enough, I don't get it. Ghostwriters exist to tell stories on behalf of people who can't do it themselves. The financial incentive is there, because they will expect to be paid for their work. By you, the 'real' author.

Am I missing something? :confused:

24. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

No. For starters, they wouldn't starve if their water supply was contaminated. They'd die of dehydration. Secondly, that's barely a plot. In my brutal opinion, it's shit. I've read it a few times and still don't know what the story really is. Why is there a wizard in a Christian/pagan story? WTF? If I were you I'd be grateful you didn't write it. It's pretty awful. But then again, I'm just as confused as the others in what your contribution to this was?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  25. plothog

Are you saying that you're essentially investing in another writer and hoping to get a return on your money when the book they've written sells? and for whatever reason you want your name on the cover too?

Considering you know so little about the publishing industry that you're having to ask on a forum if the plot is any good - this seems to me to be a terrible investment. I hear it's a tough market to get into, even for those who know what they're doing.
    If this isn't a joke, you're probably throwing away your money.
    Why a novella anyway? They're even harder to get a return on than novels.
    Also she seems to be writing a fantasy with a touch of romance, when you'd asked for a mystery, which sets off alarm bells to me that maybe your ghost writer can't even follow instructions.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Andrae Smith likes this.