1. andy011611

andy011611 New Member

plot for a fantasy novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by andy011611, Jun 2, 2011.

Im not releasing details yet.

My protagonist hates his life as it is and knows there is more in his life than there is, finishing work he returns home to find his relative missing. he must travel to another world to find a certain something to defeat his relatives half brother, ( the antagonist). By traveling to this new world he also discovers things about himself he didnt know and he also takes a liking to a woman he meets before and after he embarks.

My question is, as im new to writing, im studying novel writing, my first assignmenmt is to create a plot and give two sub plots! Also i need to decide on a theme.
    Can anyone see a theme in this plot?

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

(to put it politely, it's not generally appreciated when someone makes a second thread about the same thing when the first thread goes downhill)

Now, as was said in the other thread, this plot seems (whether it is or is not, I don't rightly mind) underdeveloped. Really, the only "theme" that is visible is something along the lines of introspection and change.

From Wikipedia: "A theme is a broad idea, message, or moral of a story. The message may be about life, society, or human nature. Themes often explore timeless and universal ideas and are almost always implied rather than stated explicitly."

Look at that definition, look at your plot. That's all the advice I'm going to give to this, seeing as it's almost an exact replica of your other thread.

3. andy011611

andy011611 New Member

i deleted the other one as best as i could, im new to forums.
    the only reason why i put it here is because you told me it was in the wrong place.

4. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

It looks like you have a theme of self-discovery, and possibly also...

* the importance of family
    * escapism
    * good vs. evil

5. andy011611

andy011611 New Member

Thanks, as i said i'm new to the whole writing a book thing, that really helps as i couldn't see what i had behind the plot. My first assignment is to learn about plots, themes and charaterisation. Although im learning through corespondence, i dont have one to one chat to ask questions thus joining this forum.

6. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I think there are online courses which provide chat forums for the participants these days. Well, I know there are for other subjects.

7. GraceCousins

GraceCousins New Member

Yes, I just finished a university creative writing course by correspondance that had a good if somewhat underused forum for those enrolled in the class. It was very helpful to get feedback from other students.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Next time, ask a mod to move the thread.

There are reasons you are not permitted to delete a thread. Do not try to do so again.