1. O'ree Williams

O'ree Williams Member

Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by O'ree Williams, Jan 3, 2017.

Greetings all,

Looking for some input regarding the climax of a story that I am working on.
    In essence, what happens is this:

The protagonist, having discovered the truth about his father's murder at the hands of the antagonists lackey sets out to confront him and avenge his father's death, and exact retribution for the near demise of his business.

The protagonist then confronts and defeats the lackey in a duel. Said Lackey, believing the protagonist to be a simple farmer with no taste for violence, succumbs to his fate when he realizes that he faces a master swordsman. A look of shock and defeat plays in his eyes as he realizes that his overconfidence has gotten the better of him when he is run through on the protagonist's sword. As the lackey is dying, he reveals that he was only doing the dirty work for the antagonist. Learning this information, the protagonist makes for antagonist's castle to confront him. Meanwhile, the antagonist, knowing that the army has been dispatched to root out all outlaws, has alerted the army that the protagonist's family are outlaw supporters. The protagonist is killed by a detachment of army soldiers defending his family who are able to escape with their lives.

Ultimately I view this as a tragedy, as the protagonist doesn't"Triumph" over the antagonist in the traditional sense of the word, meaning that the protagonist doesn't rid the world of the antagonist. However, the protagonist does in essence, sacrifice himself so that his family might be spared. I suppose that's a form of "triumph" is it not?

So, what I would like to ask you all are the following questions.

1. Are we in agreement that this constitutes as a tragedy?
    2. As long as the story is set up in a manner that doesn't leave the reader feeling like the protagonist is being
    arbitrarily killed in the end, will this leave the reader feeling cheated?
    3. Would there be satisfaction in the concept of the protagonist "triumphing" indirectly through his own
    sacrifice, and subsequent saving of his family?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

1. I think of tragedy as something that didn't need to happen/shouldn't have happened, but did, despite everything. So, in a classical sense, it isn't one in my opinion. But is that a requirement? If the story stands on its own two feet, it doesn't really matter.
    2. If it's a genuine sacrifice, then no. Though some readers might get a bit of a bad taste in their mouth if there isn't some triumph over the antagonist. Even if it's just a tiny one.
    3. Well, I suppose that would depend. If the protagonist's family has been inconsequential to the story so far then I don't think I'd be satisfied. If they play a major part in the book and it's shown that the main character truly does care for them (not just in his/her thoughts), then that is better. That also answers the previous question. If the reader is given enough reason to care about the protagonist's family, then I might not feel cheated.

3. O'ree Williams

O'ree Williams Member

Many thanks for your answers. It's definitely filled in some of the cracks that I have noticed, and have not been able to fill in. Answer # 3 really got to the heart of the matter. Does the protagonist really care about his family, and show it.
    Again, many thanks

A man called Valance likes this.