1. doveton

doveton New Member

plot idea, too silly?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by doveton, Mar 15, 2011.

hey all, just stumbled upon this place and saw it as an opportunity to get a bit of feedback on an idea for a story ive had knocking about for a while. its a little bit unusual and i kind of alternate between believing its an inspired idea that people would love to thinking its a ridiculous concept and maybe its time i grew up a bit.

the basic premise is this: pop stars in the 80s. with superpowers.

it begins at the climax of live aid. the stage is filled with mullets and designer stubble all singing along to let it be. or hey jude. whichever one it was that they all sang when paul mccartneys mic didnt work. to cut a long story short some freak accident ends up giving them all super powers. dont ask how, im sure i will come up with a perfectly rational plausible explanation though.

some powers will be standard cliche ones, invisibility and stuff. others will be a little bit different, while some will be downright useless. anyway, they will go about their new lives combining their photo shoots and top of the pops appearances with fighting crime and genrally saving the day.

the main adversaries in the story will be a league of evil pop stars who werent at live aid. im thinking morrissey, with maybe bananarama as his bodyguards, that kind of thing. they will hatch a plan to defeat the live aid heroes and take over the world. or the top 40, havent decided yet.

thats the basic gist of it, what do you think? i know its a bit silly but i think if i can write it well (which i realise is the hard part), it could be a pretty funny story. of course it is a bit of an excuse to get a lot of 80s pop culture references into a story but i would try to ignore the obvious ones. i promise wholeheartedly there will be no mention of a rubiks cube. and absolutely no a-team quotes. well maybe one.

basically what im asking is this; would the outline of this story actually grab anybodys interest and make them want to read it? while i really appreciate all feedback i guess im particularly interested in the opinions of people who grew up in the 80s like myself, as i suppose if anybodys gonna like the idea its gonna be you guys

thanks in advance

2. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

there's a reason certain features of the 80s stayed there....

3. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I'm sorry. This made me think of Guitar Hero or Rock Band if they were fighting games. LOL :)

4. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I think it would be potentially hilarious, but it would definitely need to be presented that way (à la The Rocky Horror Picture Show). If you can execute it, go for it.

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I think Dandroid just trumped all other responses. :) Gem was an interesting cartoon though.

7. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

While I think the consept is fun, I'm not sure it would work that well in book form to be honest. But no way of knowing that if you don't try :)

8. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

i love it the post punk recording arist of the new romantic era were so cartoon-ish ...adam ant , culture club , flock of seagulls , the vocalist of inxs kills himself accidently in an auto-aurosal mishap

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Why do I read everything you write in the voice of Ice-T?

10. Manav

Manav New Member

No idea is silly if the writer makes it believable. If the writer things the idea is silly, no miracle is going to turn it into a bestseller. Others can give useful feedback only when you have a draft. So, ask yourself if the idea is silly or not, and then go from there.

11. Natbutterflyblue

Natbutterflyblue New Member

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    enough said

12. FearSpreads

FearSpreads New Member

I think you should go with this.

A few notes.

1. Depending on the level of depth you want, you may want to rethink your adversaries. If it's a shorter idea, go ahead... if it's bigger, start with them but grow it into something more with a greater consequence.
    2. The 80s are actually pretty big right now. If you go at it without taking it too seriously (but without forsaking the greatness) you may have something.
    3. Don't betray the basics of writing for the gimmicks of the idea.

13. webbo_5

webbo_5 New Member

What if just one of them received the powers and tries to hide it from the others?

14. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I think it has wonderful possibilities - sort of X-Men with 80s popstars - George Michael and Andrew Ridgely should get the power to wake the dead, Boy George could have the ability to blend into his surroundings, T'Pau can hold countries in their hands ...