1. SamPayne

SamPayne New Member

I have ideas, how to organize them?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by SamPayne, Feb 16, 2010.

So I'm working on some ideas for my first story. I just don't know how to best organize the plot of the book. I've heard that some people do 20 bullet points of main events that occur in the book, others just write down the chapter titles. I was wondering if any of you guys know the best way to do this, I want my story to work because if it gets complex I need to know where I'm heading. How do you do it? What would you recommend?

Sam :)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

well, first of all, if you're writing adult fiction, you won't have chapter titles... if it's for the YA market, i guess you could, though not all of those do, either...

if you have a complex plot, you will need some sort of outline, even if skeletal, just to keep the characters, subplots, and time lines straight... it doesn't matter what anyone else does, just use whatever works best for you...

3. Anonym

Anonym New Member

I usually do a quick synopsis on all the main characters, events, conflicts, ect of the story. by expanding on each, they usually end up building on ea/o & help me work out the logistics & details of my story. I think writing something, anything, is better than nothing, ultimately.

You gotta start somewhere.

4. SamPayne

SamPayne New Member

Thanks guys, I was just wondering what methods everyone else knows about? Have you heard about this 20 bullet point thing?

5. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Write everything on paper first. Etch out every idea you have in its entierty. Then, worry about the sequence of the book - which things happen when. By the time you get done, you should be able to peice more events together, IMHO. I generally just write, but that way does not work for a lot of individuals. There are thousands of different methods you can try; it's all about what works for you.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One thing to keep in mind: what works for one writer may not for another. Organizational strategy is probably one of the most individualized dimensions of writing,

I don't write much down at all except in the manuscript. I keep notes on any research I collected, and calculated data that results (I favor science fiction, so I do a fair amount of calculation to keep the science consistent and plausible). However, plot and characters are always playing out in my head. I keep things fluid that way, and I have the manuscript itself as the written record. If there is a "fact" I might forget and have difficulty finding again, like a birthday or the name of a childhood friend, I might jot it down for easy reference.

But bullet points and structured outlines? Not for me.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

bullet point lists are just one way to go... but limiting the number to 20, or whatever, makes no sense to me...

8. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I generally just tend to write. However, I feel like if I ever write a full blown novel, I would need to list out my ideas to keep them all organized.