1. Alaskarose325

Alaskarose325 New Member

Plot issues need suggestions!!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Alaskarose325, Jul 28, 2015.

Im writing a fantasy based upon a fantasy world with magical creatures.
    the backstory: planet held portal to earth and only humans could pass through. Humans were raised by elves and taught to survive on their own, but they were helpless to the world around them being the only creatures without magic.

One of the leaders proposes a journey to end their dependence and to answer all of their questions..finally leaving the elvish land. They set out, by the end 3 remain, find a magical lake and drink from it, each awaken with a different power. They come back to their homes and take over the planet, killing those in their way. The elves eventually try to fight them and the majority of their population is destroyed.

One of the three doesn't agree with their use of power and SOMEHOW destroys the lake and the powers of his people. The centaurs were those who killed the two humans, and when the third comes back, he bows his head to the elvish leader, and before he could tell them that it was he who rectified the situation, his head is cut off.

The world recognized alexander for his actions but the elves continue hating humans for centuries. The portal is unable to be destroyed and both the centaurs and elves fight for the right to guard the portal and protect the world from any future humans. The elves hold the portal because it had been their ancient land for centuries.

ACTUAL STORY: an elf who is a studier of human history, bimble, finds the human and they must set out in an endeavor to find the human powers and save the earth.
    EITHER the elves want to use the human (for bad) and bimble goes against his kind and saves the earth, OR the elves want to kill the human and Bimble is influenced by another creature (maybe a centaur) to help the human escape and fight his people.

PLOT ISSUES:
    1. How was the river destroyed

2. MOST IMPORTANT PROBLEM: I need ideas for how exactly the planet is in danger (whether from the elves or a different species)
    --maybe the elves or centaurs teamed up with more evil spirits who took over
    --maybe the centaurs know something about killing a human the elves dont
    --maybe the elvish leader lost his mind and destroyed all who sided with the centaurs

Any ideas are helpful..no matter how crazy

3. I want the humans internal struggle to be focused on wanting the company of other humans and wanting answers. BUT im not sure how to fit this in. (Humans have no memory of who they are once they arrive)
    --maybe she must destroy the portal in the end and choose between saving the planet or being with her people
    --maybe she is tricked into the journey with the promise of human company to be fooled
    ??

4. Im not sure what age the human should be but i want them to be childlike/ enchanting to other creatures...but also smart enough to known right from wrong/solve problems.

Keep in mind: i want the plot to be creature-centered not human centered...THANKS!

2. Alaskarose325

Alaskarose325 New Member

In regards to the issue with the planets danger, i was also planning on including a prophesy in there somewhere focusing on when this next human arrives, the first in centuries.

3. Chewie

Chewie Member

Here are just some ideas;

1. How was the river destroyed; Well you have magic in your world so you could do a number of different things depending on how powerful your magic is. Raise the ground up so that the lake inverts and becomes a hill or mountain, put a massive elfish tree in the middle which drinks up the lake. Cuts a river from the lake emptying it into the surrounding land then blocks the spring.

2. MOST IMPORTANT PROBLEM: First which planet is in danger, earth or the elf planet?

If its the elf planet, you could use plague, or maybe have the destruction of the well, have a negative effect on the world, killing off the life around it slowly. Or you could always have a falsified danger by the elf king, who has brainwashed the populace to believe that the humans have done something to the world.

3. I want the humans internal struggle to be focused on wanting the company of other humans and wanting answers. BUT im not sure how to fit this in. This is a hard one because this really defines your story and where you want to go with this. Maybe have the main character be a prisoner from a raid. Then you can work on her loneliness?

4. Im not sure what age the human should be but i want them to be childlike/ enchanting to other creatures...but also smart enough to known right from wrong/solve problems. From the rest of the description above this kind of shouts young adult, so you could have someone fifteen/sixteen, so they would have the smarts around them to survive but still be a little naïve. Having them grow up in a secluded town or a boarding school can add to the potential naivety of the character but also their desire for company of people.

Hope this helps.

4. Alaskarose325

Alaskarose325 New Member

You have AWESOME ideas i love them! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your input, your suggestions have really helped me out! I love the idea about the lake being the cause of the worlds destruction, that would tie things together smoothly.