1. k.little90

k.little90 Active Member

Frustrated!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by k.little90, Jul 9, 2009.

Ever since I was really little I always had this dream of writing a book and getting it published. I've had several ideas, and have finally come across one that I enjoy writing about, but have a problem.... I don't want to spend all this time and put so much heart into this book if no one is going to read it. I like the story but will other people? I often use my little brother as a sounding board, having him read chunks that I have finished and telling me what he likes/dislikes about the story, and he seems to like it. You would think that knowledge alone would put me at ease, but he's a reading junkie, and therefore will read anything that stands still long enough.
    So here is my question:
    How can I find out if my story is good? As a writer I feel I have a biased opinion on my own story and can't really tell if it is a good one or not. What can I do to put my mind at ease?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The story is fine. Take that as a given. The question i how well you can write it. That will take practice and perseverance.

3. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

How much do you read yourself? Reading other stories is a good way to figure out what other people are doing, what kinds of stories get published, and what there might be an audience for.

While I understand your reason for wanting to write, because I too want to be published at some point, writing isn't all about that.

To write with the enthusiasm needed to draw readers to your work, you must write because you love telling stories, not just wanting to see your name in print. Granted there are probably plenty of people who do get published who just want to see their name in print, but does that make their books something people are going to read, or do they end up in the discount bargain bin for 99 cents?

Many writers, at least the ones I have read up on, have said that their first novel was crap that they wouldn't let anyone see. Some writers get their first novel published, doesn't mean they are that great though, look at Twilight.

Just write your story. Don't worry at this point if anyone is going to like it or read it. Writing the first draft is half the battle. Once you finish it, then it is time to think about if people will read it while you are doing your editing and re-writing.

4. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

When deciding if an idea is good or not, you simply have to trust in your own judgment. When you get an idea, you have to be able to look at it and say: "This would make an awesome book. This is the kind of story I'd really enjoy reading myself."

Then you just need the skill, technique and patience to write that story. But that's a different bridge to cross, no?

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

If you want to write the story, you can guarantee that there's at least one person out there somewhere who would want to read it. Besides, stories are often just incidental...focus more on your writing. Get the story down on paper and rewrite it over and over until every detail is just how you want it. Then worry about finding an audience for it.

6. Sabih Omar

Sabih Omar New Member

Write bits of it in a blog. There are (theoretically) more than a billion readers out there :)
    If you know what's a blog, google for blogger.com or wordpress.com...Good luck!

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you write it as a blog, you can forget about selling it to a publisher.

8. sunkistroses401

sunkistroses401 New Member

at least you are sticking to it lol I often have great ideas for books but can never find the time to write them out. by the time i get a chance I have forgotten my idea and therefore I give up.

9. Infinite Bob

Infinite Bob New Member

I always have a couple of my friends on different ends of the "spectrum" read a little bit. that way I see different sides of the story.

10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

There is no guarantee that what you write will be published (unless you self-publish in some form or another).
    That is the risk all writers take. You have to decide if doing what it takes is worth the time and effort, realizing that finding a publisher for the finished product is far, very far, from a sure thing.

Good luck,

Terry

11. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

You said you wanted to put your mind at ease. There are a couple things you can do: you can do what Sabih suggested, share it with others. Sometimes just hearing someone else say, "I like reading this," is enough. But if you really want to publish it, maybe share with a local writer's group instead of posting it online.

You can also take comfort in the knowledge that even if your story isn't perfect, it's being written. So many people dream of writing a book someday--but you're not writing a book 'someday'. You're writing one now! Remember too, that even if this book never reaches publication, you will learn so much, and your next project will be better for it. = )