1. DMF

DMF New Member

Are Vampire Books Done Too Much?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DMF, Apr 8, 2011.

I was just wondering. My book I just finished happens to be a vampire book. It is nothing like Twilight or any other vampire books that are similar. I just hope my book isnt looked down on by agents and publishers based on the subject of it.

2. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

There is no such thing is too many vampires ....for shame !

3. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

That's like asking if shallow, banal pop music is over done. Yes, it is, but that doesn't mean people won't keep buying it.

4. KillianRussell

My next Vampire Epic will have banal sex, does that count ?

5. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Nope, banal sex means you're still a virgin, according to catholic school girls, so it doesn't count as 'real' sex, so you'll still go to heaven, I think.

6. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

To me, there are four kinds of vampires:
    The monster vampire (slavic folklore. Disfigured bodies and typical monsters)
    The gentleman vampire (Dracula. They drink blood, but have conflicted feelings about what they do )
    The evil vampire (Buffy. Looks like humans, but are evil monsters that feel no remorse)
    The romantic vampire (Twilight, typically don't drink blood, feel guilty about doing so in the past, often falls in love with a human)

All types can be mixed together at times, Anne Rice being the only author I have read who has managed to embody them all in various characters in her novels.

I think the romantic vampire is done too much. What I miss are books with either the monster vampire, or the gentleman vampire. I am a huge fan of all kinds of monsters, vampires included, and before I used to pick up anything that had vampires in them. But I've had an overload of romantic vampires. It needs to stop.
    If you got something else, bring it on. I'll probably be happy to read it :)

7. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Yes.
    But if it's something new and nothing like Twlight. Go on and publish it. :D

8. The Soul Man

The Soul Man New Member

if you can create new and interesting ideas then vampires are fine. Twilight may have increased the relevance of vampires in our society, but they still are doable if handled correctly.

9. Deleth

Deleth New Member

yes
    but try to get to published anyways ;)

10. BEyre

BEyre New Member

True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse has a good mix of romantic, gentlemen, evil, and monster vampires.

Anything is better than Twilight ... come on ... sparkles? *gag* :confused:

If, for whatever reason, you can't make your vampires unique enough, then at least build an unique plot and a cast of characters around them to give the illusion of being unique.

Vampires Rule! =K

11. KillianRussell

vampires rock

12. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

I agree. It's not my favorite series ever, but I think Harris did a pretty thorough job developing the cultures and politics of different supernatural cultures.

I do not think the vampire market has reached saturation yet but who knows, that could be just around the corner.

13. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Why do people keep asking this question?

Twilight is not a vampire book! It's a terrible, self-insert fantastical love-triangle romance where the two gormless muppets fighting over the cardboard cutout just HAPPEN to be werewolves and vampires.

VAMPIRE books aren't overdone. The loveless spasms of talentless escapists and their drooling fanbase are overdone.

14. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

If it's "overdone" then doesn't that just prove it's a concept people are going to like? Go with it.

15. dnsralg

dnsralg New Member

Isn't any genre "overdone?" :p

Agreed! Anne Rice is the true Queen of the Damned, teehee.

@DMF - If your vampire book is unlike that of any other, I would imagine (in a far fairer world) you would have agents falling all over themselves. As long as you have a clean and concise finished product, you are in the running for a sweet deal.

I'm curious about your book, now. Maybe you'll be the one to evolve the "modern vampire" to the next level!

16. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I liked Twilight. I won't debate it here, but I'm just going to say that I liked it and I found the vampires to be unique and original. I even loved the origin of the Werewolves, which I was floored that they left out in the movie.

(I was also floored that Leah and Seth didn't get any real screentime, but oh well)

As for originality, I'm not letting it stop me from writing my vampire novel. Vampires were in literature long before Stephanie had a dream of two kids in a meadow and they'll be in literature long after the last Twilight debate is spoken of in futuristic forums.

My favorite kind of vampire is the vaguely scientific kind. Because magic is too clean and neat for me and you have to be a particularly skilled writer to pull that off. Anne Rice and Sherrilyn Kenyon both have relatively unique origin of the vampire stories.

But what I like about giving vampires more "down to Earth" origins is that there's so much material to choose from. Do they come from a virus, did they evolve from apelike creatures the way we did? Do they give birth to live babies and if so, what does that baby do to the mother?

Pretty much any vampire story that gives me something new is okay in my book.

1 person likes this.
  17. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Until the author of my favourite vampire book Facade of Shadows gets his backside in gear and writes the other two of his trilogy no there has not been enough vampire books lol

18. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

Everyone has there opinion on vampire books, but no matter what someone will love a good vampire book. Has long as it good, well written then I don't think you will have a problem.
    Good luck, I would tried and get it published:)

19. thalorin19

thalorin19 Member

It's all I see in the YA section in Borders.

20. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

To be fair I see quite a bit of "wizard and witch" themed books as well. There's nothing new under the sun and with vampires, that tends to be doubly so.

On that note, I still haven't glanced at Vampirates, though I'm told it's quite entertaining. Combining Vampires with Pirates. Brilliant.

21. BEyre

BEyre New Member

And just below this thread was a google ad for a RPG werewolves vs vampires.
    [At the time I was reading this thread]

See, not enough vamps yet ... bring it on! :D

22. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Vamps suck

23. KillianRussell

My next Vampire is an obese,agoraphobic, gay, black, Canadian, Elvis impersonator who teaches auto body at a voc tech school for Russian speaking childern in Barcelona, Spain, after the country's civil war.

24. dnsralg

dnsralg New Member

Haha!!
    I need this to happen. If you won't do it, I will.

25. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Sounds sexy. Does your vampire sparkle in daylight?