1. Vivienne Crow

Vivienne Crow New Member

Plot Outline [Ides and Suggestions]

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Vivienne Crow, Jun 23, 2007.

I've been thinking [and planning] this series of novels for about a year now and so far I haven't got what I would consider to be very far. I have names of characters, basic plotline that runs throughout the entire series, backgrounds of characters, and some scenes that I'd like to be in the story. What is stopping me from actually sitting down and writing the first draft is, I feel I need a structure outline of the first story at least. Something I can look back to from time to time as I write the novel.

I'm sure that many member's have posted something similar to this query but I felt I needed to post one for myself. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a diagram or even an outline that someone could send to me. Something that shows what a basic novel should consist of.I know all novels aren't the same and don't follow the same pattern but I need something that I follow slightly even if I'm going to tweak my work.

My series of novels is about Vampyres, Lycanthropes and Hunters. The basic plotline the series is based on is a prophecy that states that two pure bloods, one Vampyre one Lycanthrope, will mate and marry barring a child so powerful it will rule over Beast and Man. Now if the Vampyres and Lycanthropes were even slightly civil to one another this would not be such a problem. To make matters worse the two pure bloods that have been chosen to marry and bare this child harbour a deep hatred for one another, a hatred spawning from a deep love. There are many sub-characters and side plotlines that filter through the series, but the main story is of the two pure bloods becoming close enough to mate and bare this child.

xxFrostyxx

1 person likes this.
  2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Sounds like you've got a regular opus on your hands! =O

For plotting and diagramming, you can try purchasing any number of computer programs created solely to help you plot out your book. They actually analyze what you write for suggestions, ideas, etc., and they can help you lay out a virtual road map of your book, how many scenes go in a part, how many parts go in a book, etc.

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    You just described the plot to Underworld. Kinda, the mating thingy, but, hey, if it is fun to read, it's fun to read. :)
    I say just make a timeline.

Ist event
    Coversation reveling blank
    filler
    2nd event

Kinda like that, but a little more detailed.

4. Vivienne Crow

Vivienne Crow New Member

LOL Yea it does sound a little bit like Underworld...but most vamp/lycan storylines would knowadays since it came out.

I take ideas from a lot of vamp/lycan movies and then twist them around to suit my needs and the needs of my story. There is alot more to the story and all but I thought that just summed it up for everyone in a neat little package.

Crazy Ivan, I'll deffinitely look into buying something like that. I do have a writing program on my comp now called yWriter, it's good, but I need something better. More structure lol.

xxFrostyxx