1. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird New Member

Which angle!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Dickie Bird, Jun 27, 2007.

I posted the beginning of a possible novel on the novels forum, however I don't particularly have a plot for it! So far all I know is

Characters

Kathryn Clohessy
    Christian McBride

So far they've been lying on a beach, and he's taken her home; he drive back into the city, as he is about to leave to go as a surgeon......... thats where it ends

Any ideas are welcome

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

'he DROVE back into the city'... and are you actually suggesting that we create a story for you...? Uh, come up with one, THEN ask for ideas.

3. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird New Member

Apology

Please be aware that I acutally do have an idea for a plot!

1.) His house collapses around him leaving him paralysed, he is left in the rubble for several days until the rescue people arrive, unable to allow himself to see Kathryn he becomes a recluse, books his friends. Eventually making a reconcile with Kathryn, they marry! Only to find out she'd been made pregnant by him several months before?

2.) He purposely crashes his car, in order to fake his death, becuase he doesn't love Kathryn, and he moves to Manhatten where is girlfriend Samantha is living. He becomes a police officer, and ends up married to Samantha leaving Kathryn pregnant and destitute

4. adamant

Okay, first of all... I believe Kathryn would know she was pregnant after several months, and she would also know that he is the father... unless she's just been getting busy all that time. Which leads me to them having to become reconciled? for what reason?

Why would the house collapse AROUND him? Simply being on the brink of death with no one to help isn't going to give someone a personality disorder or whatever I think you're trying to accomplish.

Why the hell would someone marry if they knew that they didn't love the person and would fake their death to get out of the situation? He has a girlfriend on hold in another city...? How did that happen? A paralyzed police officer? Dubya-tee-eff? Wouldn't they check his background and see that he owes child support?

...yeah, I think that's all I could find with the current plot.

5. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird New Member

Well i understand about her knowing she was pregnant! However both the ideas were seperate.

1.) His house would collaspe due to a thunder and lighting storm and a tree would crash into it, knocking his house down around him! He loves her in this version of the plot, therefore that is why he marries her, she doesn't know she is pregnant because this is 1940 and when I sed several month maybe i should have said several week, and there is no indication of her being pregnant!

2.) He wouldn't be paralysed as a cop, as I'm from England he would be moving to another country, and the girlfriend in Manhatten would be explained as that is where he is going to be a surgeon (if that actually happen? Research to be conducted here). Was Child Support around in England/America in the 1940's. Im not sure!

6. adamant

Okay... I thought it was some chronological thing with the ones and twos. In the second one you never really said when she got pregnant so it seemed to flow. Also, you never even mentioned the time period... so yeah.

For the first plot, there doesn't seem to be much of a story... no real foreseeable conflict. Basically all that is happening is that he becomes paralyzed and he gets married with a kid on the way. And...?

Okay... why exactly did this guy have a child with her if he would fake his own death to leave her? How would he have established a relationship without having actually been there? One hell of a pen pal...

7. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird New Member

Oh yeah, sorry about that I wasn't meant to sound rude or anything in my last one! So forgetting number one!

Number two! Okay would it make more sense if he already knew Samantha from work in England and she had been sent out to Manhatten earlier than him, and then he'd asked for a transfer to there, (he gets Kathryn pregnant because weren't contraceptive illegal in the 40's, and if not then the pregnancy can be cut, but he gets her pregnant by accident), and he thinks he loves her but when he moves to Manhatten realises that he doesn't after spending several months with Samantha!

(Is that any more plausible? Thanks for ur help, its actually clarifying a lot)

8. adamant

I see that you have a few grammatical errors in your speech. You may want to go study up on that or find a way to improve it... less editing afterwards.

That's a bit better, but perhaps he joins the military due to this being set in the 1940s. As America and this European country are allied, he has to go to Manhattan to provide medical support for returning troops. While he is there, he has an affair. Feeling guilty, he breaks up with his girl back home, whom later discovers that she is pregnant (all the while, they keep in contact with mail, et cetera). The city she's in falls to the Axis and he wants to save her due to his remaining feelings for her... or something like that. He requests to be a field surgeon to be closer to his city, and when he is finally able to return, he goes AWOL in search of her.

How 'bout dem apples?

9. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird New Member

Cheers! Thats great! Erm but one thing I didn't understand was "her city falls into axis" I was just confused by that! But other than that thanks a lot!

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The Axis powers were Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy (and nominally the Japanese Empire) in WWII.

11. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird New Member

Cheers!

12. adamant

Seems like you have a bit of studying to do regarding the war, grammar, both cities at that time, propaganda, travel, the contemporary medical field.

Why exactly did you even choose that era?

13. Dickie Bird

Dickie Bird New Member

Well my grammar is rubbish cos I'm not really concentrating on that at this present moment in time, and anyways I'll proofread and stuff. I chose the war because i like it! But I suppose i don't mind research, it'll give me something to do