1. drayelya

drayelya Member

An idea but uncertainty lingers upon me!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by drayelya, Oct 5, 2011.

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this and give feedback, all of it is appreciated! I have an idea but the whole thing is a mess and it kind of has me in a predicament. I guess that should have been expected after about a year, what with the military running me ragged in that time, so I'm here seeking so aid.

The Idea as it currently stands: Aphotic is the synonymy from dark.

My MC as it stands is cursed (as usual) except this time it is a little different. His curse has split him into three separate people referred to as the Luminous, the Aphotic and the Equidistant (I know not that awesome but I'm working on the third name any ideas?). The Equidistant is nowhere to be found while the Aphotic and the Luminous are on a distant planet far away from their home world. They have fragmented memories of their full self but not all the memories. When they first meet the Luminous makes it well known he is far from Luminous and tries to kill the Aphotic to absorb him for more power. At this point however they discover that if one dies they both die. So the Luminous proposes that they join together to regain their full memories and power but the Aphotic refuses. He is in love with a young girl who is on the run from an organization trying to gain her 'secret power' and in rage the Luminous begins his furious hunt to destroy the Aphotic effectively sending them on the run from two foes now.

I have more so let me know if this isn't enough. What do you guys think?

2. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I refuse to assure you that it's a good idea, but I insist that you write it anyway.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

Write it, or don't. But make it your decision.

4. Manav

Manav New Member

Major hole in your idea; these two statement contradicts each other. May be contradict is not the right word, but you know what I mean.

5. Croga

Croga New Member

Perhaps each, along with the memories has a piece of the persona.
    Luminous takes rage, strength and impulsive nature.
    Aphotic takes the fears, love and rational.
    this way another mystery as to what does the Equidistant have.

As for the names why those?
    Why not fragments of the person they were.
    Sam Jonah Johnson becomes Sam, Jonah and Johnson.

6. drayelya

drayelya Member

OK so I took the time to read Plot Creation and Development for the second time since I joined this site. I think I understand finally where I've made my mistakes. I've been too focused on "Is it cliche or is it unique?" "Does everyone write this type of story line or not?" I haven't even focused on theme or REAL plot development! So now I will defiantly try to keep in mind that it is how you write it not how many times it has been done before and produce and actual plot. Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------