Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CadieDanielle.!

CadieDanielle.! New Member

Complete writers block! Help?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CadieDanielle.!, May 19, 2011.

I know I want to write, really bad. But, unfortunately nothing even similar to an idea is coming into my head.
    I want to try something almost supernatural. For example, a girl who can't age, so she is forced to fake death after death and move to new places under new names.
    I'm not sure if that would be something people would even want to read.
    So critisizm or advice, please? Any help would be awesome.

xoxo.

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Sounds like you already have an idea. You should start writing it now. Unless of course what you're really looking for is approval and for a bunch of random people to tell you either how awesome of an idea it is or if not, what's wrong with it and how to fix it. Either way that's not going to help you become a writer. That's going to help you become a mouthpiece. Just write the idea that pops into your head (like the one you already said) and then when you've got something tangible ask for help with it in the review section.

1 person likes this.
  3. CadieDanielle.!

CadieDanielle.! New Member

That's not what I was looking for! I just wasn't sure if that was something I could hold up a whole story with, you know? Thank you!

4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

That's just it though, we can't tell you that. That is something that's entirely dependent upon your skills, the characters you create, and the story in your head. It's what you can turn it into to. You can turn a story about a ladybug on a leaf talking to a caterpillar into a book if you've got the skills and drive. It's not a question we can answer and not one you would ask if you could (imo).

5. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

CadieDanielle:
    Trish gave you good advice. Just write; don't care whether it is something others would like. YOU need to like it first anyway before anyone will be able to like it.

Your story idea does seem to have merit. You can let her struggle because she loses all her friends around her who are either jealous of consider her a weird case. As a plot you can let her age - it just doesn't show physically.....

(On a personal note: we are here to help each other (I trust ;)) and the ones that skip the sugar-talking usually prove to be the most helpful in the end of the day. I hope that doesn't sound to paternalistic ;)).

HTH

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Trish and Leonardo gave you excellent advice. Just take your concept (no matter how little it may seem to you) and just start writing whatever comes to mind. You can always llook at it later and edit out things or add more to it. A concept by itself doesn't tell you much until it is fleshed out.

Look at the novel Dune for example. If you look at its concept on the most basic level it is a desert planet full of giant worms. Doesn't sound like much, does it? But once you look at the entire story that was fleshed out from that concept, you have the most successful sci-fi novel ever published.

7. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Danielle, the idea of the ageless person who lives many lives is very common in literature since the days of the legend of the Wondering Jew, one of my favorite movies, the Highlander, is about a scottish warrior who can't die and have to fake his own death and move to different places for five centuries, so I think that if you're able to write your own story of this myth you may find an audience.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is a stickied thread dedicated to Writer's Block.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.