1. Sywo

Sywo New Member

Where to start?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sywo, May 10, 2008.

My plot is just about there along with the ending. I could start writing but I would like your opinions on where I should start. Should I begin at when my main character is found as a child, or progress further to when he is an adult?

If I start with him as a baby, it will probably include him being found underneath a great fountain in the capital city with holy men attempting to enter his mind to find memories of parents. They find none and he is entrusted to a government run group/cult. The strange thing is that the society is built upon looking after others, so discarding a child would be scorned.

If I start with him as an adult, it would start with him coming out of the cities halls of Parliment, talking to his advisors, and then surviving an attempted assassination. The assassination his attempted because of his disbelief in the society's religion, believing them to be corrupt. (It eventually turns out they are.)

The story is fantasy, and any and all opinions are welcome.
    If more plot information is needed just ask, though I may be a bit secretive.#

Peace and Respect,
    Sywo

2. Titania

Titania New Member

Well, from what you described I would think the most obvious answer would be to have a prologue which consisted of him being found as a baby, and then begin the first chapter with him as an adult (or older, at least). The downside to this, in my opinion at least (and this is all just my opinion), is that it is a rather common way to start a fantasy story off - the birth or discovery of some 'fated child' who is going to be the main char and save the world and all that in the prologue, and then a vast time jump to (generally) the character as a young adult. Just something you might want to keep in mind. It still seems the most natural option to me.

The holy men attempting to enter his mind does sound very intriguing. Both of your proposed beginnings seem like good entry points to me, plenty of mystery to keep the reader interested. Keep in mind that you could also write both and then decide later which one you want to start off with, if that is easier. I had the starting moment for one of my major stories picked out for a long time, but eventually made the decision to add a prologue. It's your choice really.

Hope that helps. :)

3. Sywo

Sywo New Member

Thanks for the advice. I might put a prologue in, it seems a good idea.
    I agree with you about the "fated child" being overdone. Are there any other ways to introduce a child like mine? (No parents)

4. Skralo

Skralo New Member

Hi I've already spoken to you on this subject but I've had some different thoughts on it soooo...

Yes I too think the fated child destined to save the galaxy, universe or world is very over done.

As for trying to find a way to introduce a child with no parents into a story had been done alot so it will be hard for new ideas. I suggest you look at books like starwars and Harry Potter, where the main character- Child has no parents or look at similar books Artemis Fowl for example of another one, and try to make a different idea to what has been used there.

Hope this time I have helped...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could start with a look into the would-be assassin's childhood instead...

6. Sywo

Sywo New Member

I like your idea Cogito. If the coming of a "Fated Child" is known to people then various people would find ways to combat the threat posed by it.

I think I should perhaps get some writing done then work from there.

7. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    As a reader, I care more about adults that children (children are messy, loud, and annoying. Do not try to tell me otherwise; I work at a library). First presenting the character as an adult would win more sympathy from me.

8. Sywo

Sywo New Member

I think I'll do a prologue with him being found, then go to adult hood, as I to care more for adults. (Easier to connect to.)
    Also it has potential for flashbacks of childhood that was missed out. Having no parents in such a society could mean an easy trget for bullying.

9. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hi Sywo...I have to say, I like the idea of taken the beginning from a completely different perspective. I think Cog had a valid opinion. It's a unique way of raising interest while keeping your opening original.

I have never found children very interesting to read about, adults are more faceted and provide more interest to the reader...in my humble opinion.

All The Best!