1. Juganhut

Juganhut Banned

EIN's, ISBN's, and Self-Publishing

Discussion in 'Print on Demand' started by Juganhut, Aug 16, 2012.

I was researching for about two days but still confused. I wanted to see if anyone knew here. I do not want to hire a lawyer, but if I do not figure this out I will just forget about it.

Basically I want to make a Publishing company to self-publish my books. The reason being to more link my books instead of having Lulu isbn's.

I created a EIN for the US "Ninja Dog Publishing LLC".

If I use this to purchase ISBN's and it will be under "Ninja Dog Publishing LLC", what else would I have to do?

I read that you would have to register in your state/county as well, and pay a yearly fee to keep it going. If thats the case then I know I will not make the money back from the book to justify the price. I do not plan on selling it off a tellgate or anything, just through the 3rd party sites.

I guess I could just self-pub my books under Lulu ISBN and worry about it later.

I just wanted an option to link all my books via ISBN. The government sites are not much help since they are pretty vague, especially with bublishing. I do not plan on selling any service or book directly from the site/me, just using the name to link ISBN's.

Thanks!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you really need to consult a tax accountant or attorney in your state/county to get the answers you need...

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I will STRONGLY echo mamma on this.

You need to get professional advice on both the legal (entity) and tax implications of your LLC because, as we tax accountants like to say, "What you don't know can hurt you a whole lot."

4. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Another STRONGLY agree with mamma. NO LLC or Corporation should be formed without consulting a business law attorney.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you insist on self-publishing, you have to become an expert in all aspects of publishing, or pay the real experts. That applies to legal, marketing, accounting, typesetting, distribution, EVERYTHING.

What you don't know can screw you over in ways you won't anticipate.