1. ramatheson

ramatheson New Member

Poetry and agentquery.com?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by ramatheson, Apr 23, 2011.

Where can I find agents for poetry? It isn't listed as a genre, and searching "poetry" pulls up all the agents that do NOT represent poets.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

To the best of my knowledge, poets don't usually use literary agents.

3. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I didn't think Poets use literary agents either..

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

where are you - if you are in the UK the Writers and Artists Yearbook has a poetry section I know they have a website.

5. ramatheson

ramatheson New Member

It was nice of you all to reply. I have only self-published, so wasn't sure how it worked with poetry. I am in the United States.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

agents only represent books and submit the mss to book publishers... so if you don't have a book to offer, an agent can't be of any help... that is, an agent wouldn't submit your poems to magazines or literary journals for you... you must do that yourself...

and until you've made a name for yourself in that manner, a book collection of your poetic works wouldn't be of any interest to either agents or publishers, as the market even for well-known and respected poets' collections is very small, thus an unknown's wouldn't sell well enough for them to take it on...

i mentor many aspiring poets, so if you want any help along the way, feel free to drop me a line anytime at all...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com