Poetry: Free Verse VS Rhyme

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by YugiohPro01, May 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The excerpt has been removed. All writing posted for feedback must be posted in the Writing Workshop, after completing all the prerequisites.

2. YugiohPro01

YugiohPro01 New Member

Right, sorry I completely forgot I'll post it in the Workshops as soon as I give some critiques to other writings.

3. Rabbie Brian

Rabbie Brian New Member

It’s when a rhyme occurs in the middle of a line, instead of the end. A good example is a limerick, which has rhyming words at the end of all lines. This is why a limerick is written as 5 lines, with lines 3 and 4 only being half the length of lines 1, 2, and 5. The rhymes occur at the end of the lines.
    But consider writing lines 3 and 4 as one line, so all lines have equal length. The rhyming pair are now one in the middle and one at the end - which includes an internal rhyme. But, I guess, the Limerick was arranged so that all rhymes were at the end of the line. The style of the day.