Tags:
  1. AllThingsMagical

AllThingsMagical Member

Help writing poetry - how to improve?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by AllThingsMagical, Jul 29, 2012.

I've been writing poetry for the last year or so but seem to have got into a bit of a funk with it. Everything I write seems to be in the same type of format, even when I try to write it differently. I want to expand and write in different styles but I'm not sure how to go about it. Does anyone have any good tips for improving and diversifying the type of poetry they write? Thanks.

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Diversify the poetry your read.

Impose artificial limitations on you work: "I am going to write about X, but I cannot use these words: xxxx, yyyy, zzzz, [etc]".

If you typically write free verse, explore metered verse. If you typically write metered verse, explore free verse.

3. Siena

Siena Senior Member

I used to write a lot of poetry and had the same problem. And the same problem with music (always similar rhythm, melodies, tunes).

The solution for me was to consciously practice writing/playing in different forms. So adopting other styles for as long as it takes to develop new patterns.