1. Describing action in regards to point-of-view?

Discussion in 'Point of View, and Voice' started by Deleted member 16686, Jul 20, 2010.

I've been going over the few chapters I've written for my first novel and while I think I've gotten to a point where the plot and writing is good to continue on, I'm still reconsidering points about how one should "angle" their writing (there might be a proper term for this).

I'm wondering, given the following example, should I continue with the former style, or try using the latter style more often. That is, for a sci-fi action/suspense novel, would a more personal or more cinematic point-of-view suit better?

Current (this isn't the protagonist by the way):

More personal point-of-view:

I'm at the point where I think I should rework the point of view to be more from the character's point of view rather than from an third person point of view as in the first excerpt while still keeping all the details I want of the scene present.

What do you think?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The second version is better. In my opinion, keeping close to the character even in third person is better than writing from afar, if you see what I mean.

3. Thanks. I do feel like it's a more engrossing point of view. A correction to myself, it is still third person, but it's putting focus on what the character is experiencing, not the scene itself.

Further to this, if I was to go down this path, would it be advisable to keep things hidden from scene if the character cannot see it or experience it?

For example, later on I have a similar event happen but in space with fighters and the object. The object begins shooting down the fighters.

Currently the action is simply explained as it happens disregarding the fact that the protagonist isn't actually there to see it close up. In this example, he's still back on the battleship looking out from the hangar.

i.e:
    to a character point of view such as:

4. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

Generally, when it from the perspective of the character in question, the reader sees and feels (if written correctly) what they see and feel. Using the other approach, you don't get the same feeling.

Of course this isn't always necessary.

5. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Personally, I've found it much more enjoyable when an author writes like you did in your second paragraph there in your second post. When you write in third person, everything doesn't have to be third person, but more of a third person with insight into a character or two, or three, all depending on the story and the set-up behind it.

The best advice I can give is this; try all the different ways you can think to write it. See what you like, see what comes naturally, and find a compromise between the two should they be different answers.

6. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I agree that the second style is better. I call it "subjective point of view", but don't know if that's a standard term.

I think so, but on a scene-by-scene basis. The point of view doesn't have to stay with the same character throughout the whole story.