Political Center in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Oct 16, 2013.

1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I feel bad for the country in general, for electing him twice. If it was an old white democrat with the same old liberal policies, he wouldn't have won. Our country would be so much better off today if the Tea Party were in charge.

The point is that there is a lack of intelligence in the voting public and the whole process has turned into 'American Idol'.

2. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I'll agree with this, but it does come from both sides. I know 5-year-olds who say "I would vote for so-and-so because Mommy/Daddy says so." Also, you may not agree with what Obama says, but I also know 5-year-olds who say "I hate Obama and wish he would die." because that's what the parents say constantly.

3. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

...and this is the kind of tit-for-tat that comes with politics.

"Republicans hate puppies!"
    "Democrats hate kittes!"
    "Republican hate puppies and kittens, and hamsters!"
    "Democrats hate all domesticated animals!"

...and so on and so forth.

The point is that any negative thing you could say about any one side, can just as easily be said about the other. There are extremists and bigots on both sides.

4. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

The founding fathers were actually against political parties, because they believed it would tear the country apart. Probably because of what you just said. Govt. Officials are forgetting about the primary purpose of government.

jazzabel likes this.
  5. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

That's why I am a Tea Party member, because I personally feel the government has grown beyond its intended function, and is desperately close to falling into tyranny. When you have a government telling its citizens, what to drive, what to eat, what to drink and how to raise their children, it scares me. Just look at New York City and the government control thats being forced upon the population. I can't agree with that.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@erebh: Haha, don't worry, they'll break their teeth on Serbia. Us and ze Germans have a thing going for centuries ;)

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm with @Steerpike on this. Both sides certainly have good things about them, but with the good comes the bad. As a voter, I'm essentially choosing the lesser of two evils.

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There is some good to be found across the political spectrum, and that includes the Tea Party (which I'm not a supporter of overall). Certainly government is inefficient and we taxpayers make it too easy for them to come to us for more rather than being responsible with the money they get from us. Also, at some point we're going to have to address the debt - I think everyone agrees on that, but not many are willing to act on it.

The country is not, however, the relatively-small and largely rural conglomeration of states it was at the founding. I think Tea Party members and Libertarians unrealistically think we can go back to that old role of government, but I think it would be disastrous to do it in a modern country of 300 million.

I've all in favor of individual liberties, and I favor local governance over federal as a starting point, but both of these things are starting points, places of principles where you can begin to analyze an issue. Further analysis has to be informed by good public policy, and while a party like the Democrats, unfettered, wouldn't be a good thing, neither would the Tea Party.