political correctness

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ronmatt, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

Yes in fact that totally negative propaganda does sound wholly familiar to me! If your mission is to frame positive discrimination in a negative light then you will no doubt achieve that.

Also, using Wikipedia as a source of information on an academic point is inadvisable. It is edited by anyone in the entire world remember.

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I'm sorry if you are upset.
    I gave no opinion one way or the other, to be honest.
    I'm just calling a spade a spade.
    Let's not try and disguise it with alternate wording or forward our arguments with blatant sophistry.

Chin up. It'll all work out.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

As a Gay Latin American, I am not insensitive to your point. I simply want this thread and those participating in the thread to adhere to the rules as specified.

4. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

This isn't an exercise in sophistry. These issues affect peoples; lives and their wellbeings. It isn't merely an academic debate, these are the types of views that stop be getting jobs at worst. At best they are the kind of apathetic views that make society a more generally miserable place to live. People with ill informed and bigoted views should be challenged. If they have never come across a person who is one of the 'lucky' under represented minority groups then now they have. And I'm extremely unhappy about this whole episode.

People are willing to tell blatant lies on these boards for the shallow goal of winning an argument. They're not willing to discuss facts or engage with someone who might have more insight on the matter.

5. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

This is ironic that this is taking place in the politically correct thread.

This is where freedom of speech comes in. You both have a right to your opinions, however your opinions offend each other because they are opposites.

Gallowglass has a right to slam a system that he sees as in the wrong, just as much as you do to slam the same system for not doing enough. Both on opposite ends of the same debate. Where is the middle ground?

Which of your experiences has more value?

Gallowglass is experiencing something my husband and I are going through right now, I can understand his side of the argument, because I have seen it in action. A large company in America by law has to employ a certain number of minority employees every year and if they don't meet that quota they are punished by the government (fines or something.) So, in the push to meet that quota, the large company will allow hiring of people less qualified for positions if they meet the standards for the minority classification to meet the quota.

Because most people don't see themselves as unequal. Most people want to view themselves as the "most qualified" candidate. But who determines the qualifications? Society? Us as the individual?

Yes, there might still be an issues of someone's personal racism or bigotry when it comes to hiring someone. Would a racist white man in a position to hire people be more inclined to hire a white man over an equally qualified black man? Yes. Of course. Racism still exists. How about a black woman in the hiring position? Would she be more inclined to hire a higher percentage of black women and black men over equally qualified white people? If she is, then is she considered racist? Or justified in trying to help the minorities?

The problem comes in when the government steps in and makes laws that dictate the percentage private businesses must employ of minorities, be them race, gender, mental or physically disabled.

Has discrimination existed? Yes. Will it continue to exist no matter what laws are passed? Yes. But are minorities then entitled to hate the non-minorites (namely us generalized able bodied, heterosexual white people)and feel that all non-minorities are out to screw over the minorities?

I don't want someone giving me a job just because I am a woman. I don't want to be told I didn't earn something because I am a woman. I want to be held on my own merit, by what I've done and am capable of doing. If I were in a wheelchair I wouldn't want to be judged by being disabled, but by what I am able to do despite my disability. I wouldn't want to be hired because I am in a wheelchair, but that does happen.

Minorities who are less qualified may get hired over a more qualified non-minority only based on the fact that they are a minority. If I were a minority I would find that offensive. I wouldn't want to be given something that I didn't deserve only because of one aspect of myself, that I'm a minority.

So because of those laws, how can any minority person know that they were hired on their merit not on their minority status? Is that fair? Is that getting rid of discrimination or is that actually enhancing it?

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok. It seems my words have fallen on deaf ears.

I am closing this thread, and I have to tell you that I personally think this sucks because I was actually enjoying this discussion prior to it degrading into a pie fight. It was an interesting topic and now it is a soap opera with dramatic poses, acerbic come-backs, and glycerin tears.

CLOSED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.