1. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

political intern--character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by teacherayala, Apr 18, 2011.

I'm trying to create a character who is a political intern for a governor. Problem is, my imagination is running wild on plot when what I really need to understand is what a political intern actually does? My ideas are answering phones, getting coffee, organizing rallies...
    Anyone actually have a definitive answer on this?

2. Froggy

Froggy New Member

All i can think of at this prompt is the movie 'Legally Blonde' but i doubt that'll help :p

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Internships are supposed to be kind of like an apprenticeship for whatever job they are applying for, but usually they end up doing the paperwork or whatever other people are too lazy to do.

4. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Thanks, that's what I thought. So it's not too far off base to assume that the intern is stuck at a desk making boring phone calls for political donations to a campaign or occasionally sent off for coffee?

5. TheGreatNeechi

TheGreatNeechi New Member

I think I can help here.

First, there really isn't such a thing as a "political" intern. Politicians can take on interns as staffers, but they're just "interns" on staff.

The term you're looking for is "intern staff/er", and they do all sorts of things politicians find handy.

As an intern on staff for a governor you'll find yourself busy doing the really... really... (did I say REALLY?) boring stuff; the stuff other paid staffers either don't want to do, or the stuff the governor's staffing budget would rather get done for free or on the cheap. Literally, your job as the intern is to simply BE there and learn about what goes on in the governor's office...

...assuming he doesn't smoke cigars...

Sorry, I had too.

Think: make copies, run copies, take dictation, answer phone calls, bring a congressman lunch, pitch a tent in the gallery and watch the state Congress... all... day--snore--.

Just remember, no matter what you do as an intern, no matter how boring, how silly, how infantile it may seem--regardless for how many cigars were involved--it looks GOOD on your RESUME, so your intern will be pathologically obsessed with his/her review.

And therein is some potential... to... umm... snap.

It wouldn't be the first time an intern lost it on the Senate floor.

Think about it.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

one of my daughters was a senate page at 14 [the first female head page in history] and after she graduated high school, was an intern on a us senator's [or it may have been a congressman's] staff and yes, her duties were pretty much the piddling 'little' stuff listed above... and yes, they're just called 'interns' not 'political interns'...

she's now the co-founder/owner with her husband [who had also been an intern] and cfo of a major political/commercial polling firm, which has made them multi-millionaires, so that shows how valuable the connections an intern makes can be...

7. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Thanks. Your advice is awesome. I especially like Great Neechi's tips about the pathologically obsessed with the review. Certainly gives some room for thought as I develop my protagonist. Geez, Mammamia, you're not kidding. That's some daughter you have there.

8. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Great Neechi and Mammamia, I'd be privileged if you would take a look at my short story in the review room. However, if you're fans of the GOP or conservatives, you have to promise not to be offended. It's just a story.

9. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

just kidding

Apparently I don't have posting abilities yet. :-( Oh, well. It's all good. I will eventually. :)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm anything BUT a fan of same! [not that it would have any effect on my assessment of one's writing about it/them]... if you want some feedback more quickly, you can send me the piece, teach...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com