1. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

Political Intrigue

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by GoldenGhost, Jan 27, 2012.

So I have reached the part in my story where politics become involved, of course. I absolutely love the political side of fantasy but that is just me. I am trying to develop some type of intrigue within the realm to create an opportunity for some scheming/plotting/assisnation attemps/subversion/lieing etc you name it.
    Does anyone have any insight into medievil political systems or any suggestive reading for doing some research in order to structure mine within the story? Whatever informational help anyone could provide as well as opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

-Ghost

2. jc.

jc. Member

Have you read any of the A Song of Ice & Fire books by George R.R. Martin? Medieval fantasy politics galore.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

One of the best medieval political intrigues can be found in "The Three Musketeers" by Alexander Dumas, unabridged version. It's important to get a good translation, such as the one by Richard Pevear (I think it's Penguin Classics edition).
    French medival politics revolving around the struggle for power between a Cardinal and a King, over the Queen, who is in love with the enemy.

4. joanna

joanna Active Member

The church was heavily involved in politics during medieval times.

I read two related books last year, The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, both by Ken Follett, that I found informative (and wildly entertaining). The former was also made into an HBO miniseries.

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Two words: 'the' and 'Borgias.' The only thing you'll ever need to Google if you want a world of medieval vice and corruption at your fingertips.