1. Curupira22

Curupira22 Member

An irrelevant love story?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Curupira22, Jan 7, 2012.

Hi All,

I'm interested in opinions of others regarding a certain angle I'm perusing with a piece I'm working on.

Essentially, I'm writing a piece that includes a relationship that the characters deem as unconventional. As interesting as the relationship could be, I'm writing with significantly more interest in the social reaction to the relationship but my problem seems to be that any tenderness between the two is lost because everything revolves around reactions. Fundamentally, it is beliefs that are the main differences as well as skin colour in an era where a relationship of such kind would be frowned upon but not utterly rejected. Does anyone have opinions on how to attack such a subject so that tenderness is not lost entirely to external opinions that seem to revolve around bigotry and narrow-mindedness?

Ultimately, I want to see the relationship work by the end, but I'm at the point where it is at its most strained and I’m not sure if it should be a desperate tale where the two are torn apart by social and family requirements only to reunite at the end against the odds or fight against the odds, with support of a couple of key, outside influences and come out of the other side. My other problem is that the characters are very straight talking so there is no chance of monologues revolving around love etc; I want it to be very real and avoid cheesiness. That said, I‘ve worked hard to keep a certain sarcasm and cheekiness for the most part but every so often it has gotten heated and that’s really where I am now... Kind of an aftermath where nobody really wants to talk about it but it’s coming to a head.

ultimately though, it isn't key to the story but certainly effects the over all reactions between parties, hence why I call it an irrelevant love story.

So really, I'd love some feedback, maybe some thoughts and in a perfect world, some insight to a controversial subject.

Many thanks. :)

2. Flopjack

Flopjack New Member

I'm not a writer, but it sounds good to me. If you want to do something adventurous, perhaps make them give in to the pressures of society, forfeit the love then regret it later.

3. Miss Jo

Miss Jo New Member

I say let them fight through the obstacles to remain together. Then you can maybe express the tenderness through the other characters reaction to seeing them out and about holding hands or looking at each other with "that look". This might provide a good opportunity for the other characters to voice their opinions and have cheeky come-backs.

4. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

First, I will talk about my current relationship with my Indian girlfriend. We have had some difficulties because of the cultural barrier, where we expect different things in our relationship.

I would say make "societal beliefs/ignorance" the antagonist of your story. That is, it behaves like the bad guy that the couple is fighting against. If you can get to a point where the relationship is so strained it seems like it could never go on, then that's a good thing. Because then the main character must find out that they have the power within themselves to get what they want, which would be to save the relationship.

If you choose to make it "societal ignorance" or whatever, you could "make it real" by putting those tensions in the relationship. Not only are they battling the opinions of others, but their battling their opinions of each other. Maybe because of their race, they have subconscious expectations about what a partner should do. Maybe racist things slip out during arguments, or else little jokes and comments that are slightly racist (but meant to be sarcastic) come out, and that stirs up an argument.

I strongly recommend you read this blog series about story structure. It will give you great advice on how to structure your plot so that "societal beliefs/ignorance" is your antagonistic force. He actually gives some examples along the way relevant to your theme.

5. jonsnana

jonsnana New Member

Just a thought, if this potential relationship "affects the overall reactions between the parties," then how you handle it could be key to the success of your story. I can think of a couple of authors that hooked me with their characters' side-issues and I continued the entire series to find out if the two could get their acts together.

6. Curupira22

Curupira22 Member

Thanks all and apologies for the delay replying.

Firstly, thank you Mr. Bassman for your insight; it's very helpful.

Right now, both parties are pre-occupied with the main story, however, I have conflict simmering which I'm waiting to drop to force critical characters apart and test the resolve of others, including my primary protagonist and anti-hero. Regarding the antagonist; it/they have been enigmatic and as such, again, I'm focusing on the threat they present, rather than their physical presence. That said, I've finally introduced them in what I'm calling the third book but... I’m worried by doing so, they lose their forebodingness. The reaction to the relationship is almost the looming antagonist that...fills the gap? That probably sounds awful but as i say, it's almost secondary and sculpts the relationships as the main characters deal with the overlying issues.

Back on topic; I've actually already written a significant separation so I'm not sure I can do it again, although, I'm debating throwing another interested party into the mix..!

Many thanks again for your input. :)