Tags:
  1. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Smoke Z, Mar 31, 2014.

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

That was the exact error message I got when I tried to post something to Workshop/Fanfiction. I got member rank a couple of days ago.

Whatever caused the error, I would appreciate more transparency if it's because of newness.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If I remember correctly, you need to critique at least two other works here before you can post your own work.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's in the rules: "Posting your work".
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/forum-rules.64/

Do you have two critiques of other's work in the workshop? If you do, send a PM to one of the mods. Some people have had trouble posting that had met the requirements: 20 posts, be here 2 weeks, and post 2 critiques of other's work for each piece you post of yours. You have the first two.

4. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

That solves everything but the transparency...

I went a bit masochistic about the golden rule last time I went reviewing, but I have an idea about how to behave.

5. GingerCoffee

I'm unclear about what isn't transparent.:confused:

6. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

The error message doesn't say anything about what went wrong. Specifically that I have to critique first before putting it up.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Because the error message is a standard bit of formatting within the forum platform. I'm sure it's something Daniel might be able to tweak, but there are at least three variables that might cause one not to be able to post in the Workshop, other variables for other select entry portions of the forum, and I'm not sure of the platform is geared with that robust of a reporting system.

All this being said, there is a known glitch we are still working to iron out that occasionally blocks members from posting in the Workshop who have met all the requirement. If this happens, don't blow a fuse. We can help you. Just PM me and I can help you get your thread up and running. The Workshop "bouncer" is scared of me. ;)

8. GingerCoffee

Oh, I see. You should have been here when we were having trouble posting replies to any post that had a smiley face in it. :p That would have driven you up the wall. One could cut the reply in half and post it in two posts, but it took quite a while to figure out just what the offending text was that was causing the error.

Current 'can not post' messages are few and far between.

9. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

Did I just lock myself out of the critique thread by posting a "Nevermind" self-reply?

There's something else that I felt was more important, now I can't post it... does it relate to the amount of reviewing, I'm still afraid of not being nice.

10. GingerCoffee

That's a mod question. I would think the restriction is only on starting a new thread, not on replying to any of them including your own. But mods are policing real critiques from sham posts. I don't think that sounds like it applies here. So 'never mind' might not count as a critique post, but I believe that's the only issue.

11. Wreybies

Is it not letting you make a response post in the thread? The 'gatekeeper' only restricts the creation of new threads when a member hasn't met requirements yet, but response posts aren't restricted because that's how one satisfies one of the three reqs.

We do keep track, but even we don't have the power to block someone from posting.

12. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

I wanted to start a new post, and the button was missing. Either I hallucinated, someone fixed a back-end thing, or the button reappeared when I posted a review.

13. GingerCoffee

Well you don't need to broadcast that. ;)

14. Wreybies

LOL :) We have other methods that are just as effective.... Yeah... That! ;) But seriously, if the member is getting a permissions notice, that isn't something a mod could enact.

Mmm..... Maybe the page just got hung-up when it was loading? I can't think of anything else that might have caused that particular phenomenon of just a missing reply button. Daniel hasn't been on since this conversation and I didn't see him playing in "the back yard" earlier. There are known glitches we encounter from time to time, but that's not one of them. o_O

15. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

I believe that "we can't prevent" and "we keep track" to be both blatant lies.

I was on another forum, the mod disappeared for several months, a cancer started growing, and she came back and punished everyone that started believing that the cancer was acceptable just because she didn't shut it down with her usual efficiency. Then she second-warning-ed someone because she finally came across something that happened before the first warning, and insisted that they were continuing to break the rules after being warned.

16. GingerCoffee

Whoa, dude, leave your past life at the door. This is a good forum, excellent mods, members willing to help fellow writers. Some of us get a little testy in the debate forum, and sometimes speaking one's mind might be a tad tense, but this is a safe harbor.

17. Wreybies

That sounds like a pretty shitty forum that wasn't being managed at all. Glad you left there. This forum is not that forum.

18. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

I like to think that I have already shed a lot of that emotional baggage, but this is very validating.

I suddenly reached that stage of puberty a few years later. (Sometime after twenty for both of us.) But all I did was withdraw, and I hadn't accepted any major responsibilities like managing a corner of an official corporate forum. I did apologize to the one person I was talking to and co-op fic-ing with.

It is slightly irritating to not know what went on between that mod and the people who granted her the responsibility.

Oh right, I was trying to make a point about mods being human, and how that's mostly okay.

19. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

And I'm getting an error.

I can get to the page where I can begin a new thread, but I cannot post the thread... will entering tags help?

20. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

I'm still getting the error where I can get to a thread-creation page, but I cannot get it to post.

Correction, when I refreshed the page, I could no longer get into thread creation.