1. Eddyz Aquila

Eddyz Aquila Member

Popcorn POV?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Eddyz Aquila, Oct 28, 2009.

I read Cogito's What's your Point of View blog entry, and he mentioned the Popcorn POV, along with the "whenever possible, avoid it." Now, to be fair with you, I am using the popcorn POV quite often as I think it gives a cinematic view and managed to draw the reader inside the story.

How wrong is it to use this type of POV for one's story?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Just so people knjow what he is referring to, this is the link to the blog entry:

What's Your Point (of View)?

Popcorn POV is a term I coined. I won't comment further at this point, because I've already made my initial point in the article.

3. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

Personally I wouldn't say it's wrong. But with a really minor change, you can suck the reader much more into the scene. Immersion is essential and every little bit helps.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

everything depends on how well you can write...

the worst techniques can be successful in the hands of a rare few master wordsmiths and the best methods can flop when tried by those with little talent and/or poor skills...

5. architectus

architectus Banned

I think it is usually best to remove filter words: heard, saw, felt, etc whenever possible. It's usually a minor tweek and easy to do.

The context is that they lifted the bottom of their shirts to form a make-shift pouch, which they have to hold with one hand.

becomes

6. bruce

bruce Active Member

It is not wrong but a writer's choice.

I avoid popcorn POV because I want to draw the reader inside the character's mind. I want to make the reader feel what the character feels.

7. Carbon

Carbon Member

But wouldn't you be able to get the same effect with multiple characters if you used the popcorn method? Maybe if you switch around between chapters rather than mid-chapter?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The problem with the popcorn POV is thaty it is cinematic. It looks upon the scene remotely instead of immersing him or her in it.

A cinematic POV is fine if the audience has a detailed visual in real time, especially with Surround Sound. But for a narrow band linear medium like a book, you have a much smaller opportunity to make the surroundings feel real to your audience. You can't show every nuance of character expressions, so you have to convey verisimilitude more selectively. You need to immerse the audience in the scenw.